North Weald Diary 2022

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: North Weald Diary 2022

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

lynothehammer wrote:
Thu 14 Apr 2022, 2:54 pm
Can anyone confirm which Dak is in one of the Weald Aviation hangars ? cheers in advance !
Should be the Aces High one, N147DC.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Thu 14 Apr 2022, 4:25 pm
lynothehammer wrote:
Thu 14 Apr 2022, 2:54 pm
Can anyone confirm which Dak is in one of the Weald Aviation hangars ? cheers in advance !
Should be the Aces High one, N147DC.

Thought as much, many thanks mate.. Appreciated...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Hangar 11's Mustang went out to Wellesbourne today. Missed the departure but did catch Pete taxiing back to the hangar. Same stuff I've taken (and you've seen) a thousand times over now, but I wanted some shots of it in the bright sunlight to see how much of the detail can be recovered when I have RAW files to work from. Impressed at how much could be pulled back but I might have gone a bit too far... Any tips?

Only other movement that piqued my interest was Bell-47 G-MASH. It's a fairly regular visitor to North Weald but I'd not seen it in the sunshine before, so waited around until it departed around 5pm. Difficult to do much with it where it was parked though, there's clutter in pretty much every direction and the light was tricky.

Nice to catch up with Badger96 and have a natter to pass the time.

Badger96

Post by Badger96 »

Great shots of what must be the finest Mustang in the UK! Glad your patience paid of with G-MASH too! Great to see you over the airfield and chat all things aviation again!

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

The P-51 images look fine to me, although I have never seen the subject 'in the flesh'. You have processed them well and should continue to capture RAW files and process them in the same manner. The only thing that I can recommend is a wee bit more contrast.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Orion

Post by Orion »

knowt wrong with the contrast

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Thanks for on the feedback on the Mustang shots. It's quite shiny and I find aircraft like that difficult to photograph, in most of my JPEG images the highlights along the fuselage are well blown.

Was asked to lend a hand at Hangar 11 today as Pete had a shortage of ground crew to get the Russian Spitfire out from the back of the hangar for a ground run. Had a short interlude with the camera while he was running the engine and tried to find some different angles.

Aero Legends were busy with their Spitfire, two Harvards and Tiger Moth. Their 'new' Dakota was on the ground but unfortunately didn't fly.

And finally, the L-29 went out for a short local flight, seen here returning to park.

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Lovely work, and I find being around to help can result in wonderful experiences!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Looked like it might be a slow one today but it turned out quite busy in the afternoon with the classic jets and the Aero Legends Dakota all going up in the nice weather.

Started off on the market side in the morning hoping for the Dakota to fly but they just repositioned it onto the old cross runway and shut down again. Aero Legends Spitfire Mk.IX was up and about all day flying with the helicopters but where they park it between flights, it's always so awkward to find an angle with some light on it and I didn't get anything else of it that I would publish for the rest of the day.

KP220/G-ANAF went up after lunch for the flight down to Lydd and back. Nowhere to really get close to the runway in the afternoon so it was backlit shots from the Squadron or nothing. It was parked fairly decently for close-ups once it returned.

XW324/G-BWSG went out on a couple of flights, not sure if it returned to NW though as it hadn't by the time we left. Nice to be back over at Wings for this one, they've not had too much going on besides GA on my visists so far this year but it's so much better for the light.

L-29 Delfin also made some noise this afternoon. Not a great shot but the end of the runway is just about the only place to shoot flyers once the sun moves round in the afternoon.

And a portrait of 'Parky' at the end of a long day's flying.

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

Nice photo of Parky

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Hear hear, what a great shot! (among many others, I should add)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

southyorkshireman

Post by southyorkshireman »

Ah, that answers what was flying over our house last Saturday. Usually get the Biggin Hill lot flying over several times a day but saw the Mkix with 2 helicopters go over (spit doing a barrel role over the house, might have to get Christopher Plummber to have a word!)

Great shots

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Flying visit on Saturday, well-timed to catch the L-29 returning from a local flight. Nothing much else going on. Hopefully the upcoming shows at Clacton/Eastbourne/Bournemouth will see some classic jets visiting.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Popped in this avo for the annual visit to see the Clacton airshow movements - jets were all parked away from public areas on the old cross runway so set up camp at the Runway 02 ORP. Heat haze was really bad.

Hangar 11 Mustang also displayed at Clacton and the RNHF Seafire also came in for fuel having spent the last two days at Lydd, but didn't get any pics of either.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Quick visit this morning to catch the Sally B photo flight arriving, plus a few of the jets were up and about.

Aero Legends' Dakota G-ANAF taxiing to the ORP for power checks with the photographers onboard.

L-29 and JP3 were active while the Dakota was away to meet up with Sally B.

And then the warbirds arrived. Messed up my B-17 shots with the nicer backdrop of trees so airfield clutter will have to suffice.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Great pics, I was there for the Breakfast car meet, but wandered over to the fence. Someone kindly let me know that Sally B was due in, (as I wasn’t aware anything was going on today).

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

FGR2 wrote:
Sun 28 Aug 2022, 6:35 pm
Someone kindly let me know that Sally B was due in, (as I wasn’t aware anything was going on today).

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Sun 28 Aug 2022, 6:41 pm
FGR2 wrote:
Sun 28 Aug 2022, 6:35 pm
Someone kindly let me know that Sally B was due in, (as I wasn’t aware anything was going on today).
Thanks again for the heads up 🙂.