Type on Type combat

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Type on Type combat

Post by CJS »

So I was thinking yesterday (random day off, so I put it to good use...):

Have there been many / any instances of two aircraft of the same type meeting in combat?

Off the top of my head, I couldn't think of anything from the 2 world wars, unless there are any Italian aircraft that were borrowed from the Germans that continued in service after the Italians swapped sides and which then saw action against the German versions?

Likewise from more recent history, possibly India and Pakistan have some common aircraft, but have they ever fought each other at the same time?

The UK tried their best to sell the SHAR to Argentina shortly before the Falklands War, so that could so easily have been an example (but obvs wasn't).

So to be clear, not 2 opposing sides that simply have the same aircraft in their inventory, but instances of those opposing sides meeting in aerial combat in the same type.

There are probably loads but I never Google these things cos it's so much more fun to leave it to you guys..
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Spiny Norman

Re: Type on Type combat

Post by Spiny Norman »

Now there's a thought. Am sure have read that RAF Spitfires engaged in combat with Israeli Spitfires, which would have been 1948-ish?

ianf

Post by ianf »

The last air to kill by a piston fighter, was an F4U Corsair shooting another F4U Corsair it was done in the late sixties I think, by two countries from the South America Region.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

AFKAMC

Post by AFKAMC »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sat 19 Feb 2022, 9:14 pm
Now there's a thought. Am sure have read that RAF Spitfires engaged in combat with Israeli Spitfires, which would have been 1948-ish?
https://www.historynet.com/spitfire-vs- ... ndence.htm

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

ianf wrote:
Sat 19 Feb 2022, 9:20 pm
The last air to kill by a piston fighter, was an F4U Corsair shooting another F4U Corsair it was done in the late sixties I think, by two countries from the South America Region.
The Football War (also known as the Hundred Hour War) between El Salvador and Honduras in 1969. Both sides flew Mustangs and Corsairs.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

ianf wrote:
Sat 19 Feb 2022, 9:20 pm
It was known as the 'Football War', between Honduras and El Salvador.

July 1969, and a Honduras F4U-5N (FAH609) flown by Major Soto Henriquez, shot down 2 x FG-1D Corsairs, and a F-51 Mustang from El Salvador.

This particular F4U-5N was retained by Honduras after they sold of all the Corsairs in the late 70's, and was restored out in Honduras back to fully operational condition about 10 years ago.....I don't think they have or intend to fly it, but there are video's on Youtube of it with the engine being ground run up.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

Some skirmishes between Greek and Turkish F-16 have happened.