(The late) Paul Allen’s FHCAM Warbirds Sold

Post by Tommy »

…the ones remaining anyway.

Seems as though they’ve been bought by Steuart Walton:

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/f ... 2GLGip0n7M

GeeRam

Re: (The late) Paul Allen’s FHCAM Warbirds Sold

Post by GeeRam »

Stueart Walton doesn't even appear on the Forbes 500 rich lists, unlike most of the rest of his family, so while he's probably fronting the bid, given his current warbird ownership, I would think the financial backing of this is coming from the rest of the Walton family, especially as there's rumours of the 'deal' potentially being a 9 figure sum......
Stueart Waltons father, Jim is also a qualified pilot so maybe Daddy has had a dig around the back of the sofa for some loose change, he is after all the wealthiest of the all Waltons, sitting at #18 on the world rich list, and worth a cool $66bn....

If they do move the collection to near their base in Arkansas, I hope they build a pretty strong building for it, as its bang in the middle of tornado alley...!!

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

For me there are three big questions:
- will the collection be on public display?
- will the existing airworthy aircraft continue to be flown?
- will the projects under restoration to fly be completed and flown?

Steuart's late uncle was also a keen pilot:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Official news release from FHCAM
Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum Collection
to be Acquired by Wartime History Museum

FHCAM to Reopen at Current Location Within the Next Year
Aug. 4, 2022 – EVERETT, WASH. – Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum (FHCAM) today announced plans for the museum’s artifacts and assets to be acquired by the Wartime History Museum, a new 501(c)3 nonprofit started by entrepreneur and philanthropist Steuart Walton.

FHCAM, founded by the late philanthropist Paul G. Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, was first opened in 2004 and is beloved by visitors of all ages. It embodies the human spirit and engineering prowess exemplified during world conflicts in the 20th century. The museum
showcases an unmatched collection of military artifacts – namely airplanes, tanks, and armaments – from the United States, Britain, Germany, Japan, and the former Soviet Union, with many restored to original flying or driving condition and emphasizing authentic paint schemes and mechanical systems.

“It has been my honor and privilege to help develop and care for this amazing collection, share it with the public, and preserve and celebrate the important military history and human stories of which we are caretakers,” said Adrian Hunt, the museum’s executive director. “I am thrilled
that the museum’s mission and impact will continue under the leadership of Steuart and the Wartime History Museum. I look forward to FHCAM continuing to educate and inspire the community through compelling artifacts and engaging exhibits that honor those who served their country.”

FHCAM continued to operate following Allen’s death in late 2018 but like many institutions, the museum was closed in March of 2020 given the COVID-19 pandemic. Although artifact care and restoration has continued, the museum has remained closed, and its assets are now being sold
consistent with Allen’s wishes. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, and all proceeds will be earmarked for philanthropy. Wartime History Museum plans to reopen FHCAM to the public, at its current location, within the next year and will share additional details when plans are finalized.

“This incredible collection reminds us of the significance vintage aircraft and other historic vehicles have had on our nation and globe,” said Walton. “On behalf of my fellow WHM board members, we hope to share these important artifacts for generations to come and unearth
inspiring stories to help fuel innovation, understanding, and exploration.”

In 2018 and 2022, Walton helped bring global advanced mobility thought leaders together in Northwest Arkansas for the UP Summit to accelerate next generation flying and technology advancement.

As an experienced pilot and investor in the preservation and restoration of historic aircraft, in 2020 Walton organized a statewide flyover of WWII-era planes during the height of the pandemic in support of frontline healthcare workers in Arkansas. He co-founded Game Composites, an aerobatic airplane manufacturer, serves on the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum board, and along with his brother Tom Walton, led efforts to build Thaden Fieldhouse, the driving force behind Northwest Arkansas’ emergence as a general aviation touchstone.

“This is wonderful news that a fellow nonprofit, founded by another visionary and conscientious leader, will continue FHCAM's mission and Paul’s vision,” said Steve Hinton, president of the Planes of Fame Air Museum and former FHCAM principal test pilot. “Paul curated an amazing collection of significant aircraft and machines that tell strong and important stories that need to be remembered and celebrated.”

About Wartime History Museum
The Wartime History Museum (WHM) is a newly formed philanthropic organization established in early 2022. Directed by Steuart Walton, the WHM mission is to preserve and restore wartime historical artifacts and pioneer ways to make them available through live exhibitions, museum
properties and public spaces, including the skies above.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

On the back of the Paul Allen collection disposal, after his death, with the death at the weekend of Red Bull founder and co-owner, Dietrich Mateschitz, I wonder what the future holds for the airworthy collection of Red Bull warbirds and vintage aircraft based in Austria...?

Archer

Post by Archer »

Red Bull is a large company and is heavily invested in the risky sports, fast moving metal scene so I suspect that they will not be giving up these flying billboards. That's just speculation though. I do think that it is a different situation, Paul Allen was a collector where the ownership was purely linked to a single person while Red Bull is a company with more than one stakeholder (AFAIK) and therefore a larger basis for the ownership of these aircraft.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 19 Apr 2022, 11:34 am
…the ones remaining anyway.

Seems as though they’ve been bought by Steuart Walton:

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/f ... 2GLGip0n7M
Didn't realise there was a Mustang named Hoopoe (in latin) until seeing that link! Every day is a school day. Fabulous.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Archer wrote:
Mon 24 Oct 2022, 10:43 am
Red Bull is a large company and is heavily invested in the risky sports, fast moving metal scene so I suspect that they will not be giving up these flying billboards. That's just speculation though. I do think that it is a different situation, Paul Allen was a collector where the ownership was purely linked to a single person while Red Bull is a company with more than one stakeholder (AFAIK) and therefore a larger basis for the ownership of these aircraft.
But it was Mateschitz that was the aviation and motorsports enthusiast.....with him gone, the other people in the company may not have the same feeling about them (as Paul Allen's sister didn't) and may decide that the warbird and vintage aviation stuff doesn't suit their 'portfolio' of product sponsorship.
Well find out in due course no doubt.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Just look at what happened to the Breitling sponsorship (Jet Team, Wingwalkers, Connie, DC-3) when a new CEO without an interest in aviation took over.