Part 2 of Kermit Weeks Lancaster unveiling

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
cgwilson

Part 2 of Kermit Weeks Lancaster unveiling

Post by cgwilson »

K5054NZ

Re: Part 2 of Kermit Weeks Lancaster unveiling

Post by K5054NZ »

In this video Kermit lets slip two very, very curious bits of information: Sir Peter Jackson wanted to buy KB976; and he apparently has (most of?) an Avro Lincoln here in New Zealand. Does anyone know which machine this could be? After looking at Geoff Goodall's Warbird Directory I'm no clearer as to the Lincon's identity. RF342 was the Church/Arnold machine but according to Goodall is the aircraft now at Moorabbin...and of course the Lincoln photo in the video is RF398 at RAF Museum Cosford.

Here's what I transcribed starting at 26m44s(ish):
“Part of the deal, the price, was the Lincoln as well. I mean I looked at this thing (Lancaster KB976 at Blackbushe) - I must have gone over and looked at it, I know I looked at the project because I remember seeing the Lincoln […] I would’ve seen it, I would’ve cut a deal, and I’m like ‘I don’t know what to do with this Lincoln thing’ so what I ended up doing was, I think as a buyer - as a seller deal I gave the Lincoln to Mike Woodley and I don’t know what happened to the rest of it but I know the fuselage ended up with Peter Jackson, and I loaned the turrets off of this which they still have, because he wanted to do the Dam Buster film […] I think ultimately he wanted to buy this airplane (KB976) and I said ‘No, not really’ but I loaned him the turrets. So they put the two turrets I loaned them on the fuselage that they kinda mocked up to look like the Lanc from the Lincoln - I dunno what happened to the wings and stuff […]”
Last edited by K5054NZ on Tue 26 Apr 2022, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Mike

Post by Mike »

Lincoln RF342 was parted out. Some of it went to Kermit’s kit of Lancaster parts, the rest went to Australia. I doubt either the pile of bits in Florida or the pile of bits in Australia will ever be complete aircraft again in my lifetime.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

I presume the reference to the French aircraft in the UK with bad corrosion, is Just Jane?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

pb643 wrote:
Mon 25 Apr 2022, 10:56 am
I presume the reference to the French aircraft in the UK with bad corrosion, is Just Jane?
The JJ team are restoring a French airframe on behalf of the French based team, I think they’ll restore the french bits to static/ground running condition, pop them on JJ & restore her bits to airworthy condition then when they’re all done give them back to the French
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Post by 5944 »

Domvickery wrote:
Mon 25 Apr 2022, 12:19 pm
pb643 wrote:
The JJ team are restoring a French airframe on behalf of the French based team, I think they’ll restore the french bits to static/ground running condition, pop them on JJ & restore her bits to airworthy condition then when they’re all done give them back to the French
https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/la ... s-fund.htm

Wings from NX664 in France and rear fuselage from KB976 to be restored and fitted temporarily to NX611, while it's parts are restored to flying condition. A very clever plan to keep the aircraft in one piece and earning money for most of the year, while still allowing restoration to continue.

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Mike wrote:
Mon 25 Apr 2022, 6:32 am
Lincoln RF342 was parted out. Some of it went to Kermit’s kit of Lancaster parts, the rest went to Australia.
So did the Australian parts make their way to NZ, or is Sir Peter's a totally different airframe?
Zac in NZ

Mike

Post by Mike »

Sir Peter’s what? He has neither a Lancaster nor a Lincoln AFAIK. Just some Chinese plastic replicas.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

5944 wrote:
Mon 25 Apr 2022, 12:40 pm
Domvickery wrote:
Mon 25 Apr 2022, 12:19 pm
pb643 wrote:
https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/la ... s-fund.htm

Wings from NX664 in France and rear fuselage from KB976 to be restored and fitted temporarily to NX611, while it's parts are restored to flying condition. A very clever plan to keep the aircraft in one piece and earning money for most of the year, while still allowing restoration to continue.
Thanks gents.

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Mike wrote:
Tue 26 Apr 2022, 6:17 am
Sir Peter’s what? He has neither a Lancaster nor a Lincoln AFAIK. Just some Chinese plastic replicas.
Lincoln. What Kermit said in the video:
“Part of the deal, the price, was the Lincoln as well. I mean I looked at this thing (Lancaster KB976 at Blackbushe) - I must have gone over and looked at it, I know I looked at the project because I remember seeing the Lincoln […] I would’ve seen it, I would’ve cut a deal, and I’m like ‘I don’t know what to do with this Lincoln thing’ so what I ended up doing was, I think as a buyer - as a seller deal I gave the Lincoln to Mike Woodley and I don’t know what happened to the rest of it but I know the fuselage ended up with Peter Jackson, and I loaned the turrets off of this which they still have, because he wanted to do the Dam Buster film […] I think ultimately he wanted to buy this airplane (KB976) and I said ‘No, not really’ but I loaned him the turrets. So they put the two turrets I loaned them on the fuselage that they kinda mocked up to look like the Lanc from the Lincoln - I dunno what happened to the wings and stuff […]”
Zac in NZ

oz rb fan

Post by oz rb fan »

As far as i know all the Lincoln parts are with the Moorabbin Air museum in Melbourne Australia.