OW Season Premiere 2022 - we're back....

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Dr Cake

OW Season Premiere 2022 - we're back....

Post by Dr Cake »

It's good to be back up and running at last. Lighting can be politely described as 'challenging' for photographers but here are are some of my efforts:

ImageIMG_5555 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7583 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7656 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7782 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7827 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7957 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7965 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7979 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8123 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8311 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8429 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8794 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8802 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8857 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8990 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9287 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5754 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6127 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9537 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9547 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9652 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9893 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0084 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0150 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0172 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6450 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6502 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6515 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6644 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6686 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
Rich

FarnboroJohn

Re: OW Season Premiere 2022 - we're back....

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Great stuff in challenging light. The Pup topside is magic. Hope the Shuttleworth team learn from this and lift the proposed continuation of COVID confinement for other shows.

johnr

Post by johnr »

'Challenging' is a polite way of putting it. Really good shots from a show that deserved better weather. Perhaps Shuttleworth could find a way to organise a 'Sky Replacement' feature...

John

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

A really good effort for the conditions. Sadly I agree that until Shuttleworth realise they can't extort even more money from their audience under the pretence of Covid, I'ts a "disinclined to acquiesce" from me on attending their events. For a sky like johnr's post-processed layering job on the Lancaster above I might have been tempted to splash-out, but to see substantially the same aircraft in lesser conditions than previously seen I can last-out a bit longer in Airshow famine. :wink:

Orion

Post by Orion »

How well attended was this show? I ask because if it was well attended then Shuttleworth could claim that their car parking ploy will work post lockdown.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

As far as I can remember, I don’t think there was a parking charge for this or any Sunday shows, just the evening shows. Which is somewhat bizarre but maybe I’ve got it wrong (wouldn’t be the first time).

johnr

Post by johnr »

The show was well attended. The car parks were nearly full and people were still arriving close to the start time. No Covid restrictions were in force. Having bought tickets in advance and seen a grim weather forecast we were sorely tempted to cut our losses and not attend but I was glad that we did.
Only the evening shows are 'Drive In'. I don't think that it is a 'Covid' thing - just that someone thought that it was a good idea...and a way to make more money
John

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Despite the 'challenging' weather, you came away from this event with some lovely images. It's a location that I must visit one day.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

All, I also bought tickets prior to their first price hike at the end of Feb and planned to attend whatever was thrown at us. As John states it was pretty busy but short of the '2018 rammed' levels we experienced back then. To be honest it felt just like a standard typical season premiere show of old.

The continuation of the drive-in format for the evening shows has certainly caught many by surprise. However, in my opinion, it's very confusing. The website essentially just states it's a 'drive-in' which kind of assumes you know what one is. So you immediately think to 2020 and 2021 - as a minimum you've got to be in your box during the flying period. However, a bit more digging you find 'Once you have parked your car, you will be able to walk around the site and enjoy all of the facilities, including our trading stalls, hangars, catering outlets and more' in the FAQs. So do you need to be in your box during the display or not?! I read this as not! It's a HUGE question for me personally. I have a strong suspicion that I'm not the only one.

For the moment I'm sticking to the Sunday shows. I'll wait to see what happens on the evening shows. Please report in if you go.

Cheers,
Rich

GarthPower

Post by GarthPower »

Well done Dr. Cake, in providing us with 32 more excellent aero action photos (including the graceful bird!), especially considering the challenging lighting conditions at OW on the day.

Keep up the great photographic work.