Forum dying?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
TheMaster

Forum dying?

Post by TheMaster »

Hardly anything this week, one topic in a week, and nothing like a decade ago when it was 10-20 topics active a day. What's happened? Where do people go now?! Is it cos our air force is smaller? No interest in boring Airbus' which all look the same?

cg_341

Re: Forum dying?

Post by cg_341 »

It's 2022, all forums are dying. Twitter, Facebook groups, Discord servers, etc have all taken over and allow more people to talk about more subjects, faster.

Forums won't die off completely, in the same way email lists are still around - they're just nowhere near as busy or as important as they once were. I guess you could say the same for magazines before them.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

TheMaster wrote:
Thu 12 May 2022, 8:54 am
Hardly anything this week, one topic in a week, and nothing like a decade ago when it was 10-20 topics active a day. What's happened? Where do people go now?! Is it cos our air force is smaller? No interest in boring Airbus' which all look the same?
There may have only been one topic in this section of the forum this week however over the entire forum, 24 sub forums have been active in the past week.
The forums usage was damaged by the accidental outage last year but has slowly began to build up again.

Of course a forum is only as active as those that post :-) hint hint :-)

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Two years with few airshows has understandably reflected on an airshow forum. The season is kicking off now, hopefully that'll bring a few back.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I think it is a reflection on how the hobby is being changed in a post 'shoreham' and Covid enviroment. Few shows to attend, those that are on are pretty samey. Looks like only at RIAT will we see a 'full' show with fast jets operating from the venue, that is crazy compared to 30 years ago. Airshows are shrinking to RIAT,OW, Cosford, Duxford and the seaside shows. Nationwide we are down to about five places you can regually see fast jets flying. Add the current cost of living issues, cost of fuel etc people are doing less, I am. I am only going to the MAF and RIAT this year due to costs. I will go to small events and fly-ins but they are largely free.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Thu 12 May 2022, 9:26 am
Two years with few airshows has understandably reflected on an airshow forum. The season is kicking off now, hopefully that'll bring a few back.
indeed but I fear it will be hard to get some back. I'm chairman of the Air-Britain Stansted Branch and during the lockdowns I prepared on-line meetings with narrated slideshows on all sorts of topics just in an attempt to keep our members engaged with the group. Despite that, since we started 'real' meetings again our numbers have been around 60% of what they were before and it's going to be hard to get some of the former regulars to return. Once people drift away it's really difficult reverse that process.
Forums are the same - I'm an admin on civilianaviation and that has gone dead quiet, even some of the real stalwarts have disappeared and that pattern is probably mirrored here. There needs to be a purpose for people to frequent a forum and even moreso to actively contribute and with the airshow scene less active that purpose diminishes.
Airshows are a real uphill battle for the organisers at present - trying to get those who have found new interests to return, trying to balance the books whilst having an interesting programme and so on. There are so few star attractions to tempt people into a long car journey now - remember how people and not just avid enthusiasts travelled the length and breadth of the country to see the Vulcan (no matter how controversial it was at times) or the two Lancasters - there just isn't anything like that at present. Some said they drew the money away from other projects but they drew the crowds and thus provided more funds to hire more acts so in hindsight it's clear they were very much keeping airshows interesting

People are feeling the pinch financially - ticket prices are having to go up to cover costs, travelling to a show is more expensive because of fuel prices (which also affects the airshow participants and thus the organisers who ultimately have to pay for the aircraft fuel.
I used to go to Old Warden airshows 5 or 6 times a year but I'm now being more selective based on the show theme, simply to save money, I'm only 60 miles away but that's around £25 in fuel so I'm thinking twice and I'm sure lots of others are doing the same. They in particular are relying on their own aircraft to provide the displays with just a few ' third party' participants to keep costs down but there are only so many times I want to see the same aircraft in a season (and I'm a long term member). I will probably only do 3 or 4 airshows this year, my least for a long time because of the costs, I've got tickets for Headcorn in June and will probably do two Old Warden shows and maybe another local-ish show or a Duxford flying day as that's only 35 miles away.

What I am doing more to get my 'aero-fix' is to go to fly ins within reasonable range, usually a nice day out, close up to the aircraft, minimal entry fees and good photo opportunities.
As for airliners I'm fortunate to only be 12 miles from Stansted so that is my main venue although I'm even more selective about that now, generally only going when there's something interesting about rather than going over sometimes two or three times a week because I feel like it, the fuel all adds up. Likewise I'm doing the Suffolk USAF bases far less to save fuel costs, what used to be a cheap day out has become more expensive because of the fuel factor. And my third pre-pandemic regular haunt was Heathrow but 80 odd miles each way makes that a treat rather than just another trip out - all these are cheap compared to an airshow so ~I am changing my habits and I expect many others are doing the same. These all have e-mail lists which were mentioned earlier in the topic (I'm co-owner of the Stansted google group and the UK Light aviation google group) and I've noticed that the Stansted group in particular has more traffic nowadays and I'd suggest two reasons , firstly because people are using airfield visits rather than shows to get their fix and secondly looking to be as certain as possible that an aircraft they want to see it still there to avoid wasted journeys and thus wasted travel costs.

all of this means I have fewer photos to load to the forum and less things to discuss about the hobby and I guess that's the same for many people so it is going to be much quieter, it will be interesting to see what upturn there is once the season gets into full swing.

Well this topic seems to have increased the forum traffic anyway :grin:
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

In relation to this Aviation Forum in general, I agree on all the Airshow implications noted above. Other aspects of information, updates & movements are probably more frequently communicated using 'Instagran', Face-ache & Twatter these days? Plus there is the simple individual access to FR24, ADSB & others that keep enthusiasts clued-in without the 'need' to rely on Forums. There is less 'aviation' to travel for which probably converts to less specific aviation topics & increased reliance on general topics such as this one! :innocent: Increased fuel costs (just like food & heating) is something we will grow accustomed to, eventually. Fuel is around 16% more than the Ukraine conflict or latest excuse to raise pump prices. That alone won't stop me travelling as I feel necessary. I could do with losing a few kilo's anyway & if I'm not at home my Gas/Electric costs at circa +54% are negligible! :laughing:
It's mostly more mature persons that need the forums, as they/we shun the World of social media? Either way it's the contributions that promote visits & comments, albeit the more controversial opinions promote the greater input! :wink: :flushed:

Draken

Post by Draken »

I guess it's a global trend actually...

Less travels, no events, lockdowns, all the circumstances are negatively impacting our aviation world.
New photo threads are rarely appearing, existing ones are almost never updated - both military and civil...
Our polish forum Lotnictwo.net.pl - also suffers from the same reasons. Only few new posts per day, less traffic, less activity even from frequent contributors.

UKAR Forum outage was a big downer as well. Looking from my personal perspective - a lot of lost threads and photo contests is demotivating somehow. I still have plenty of photos on my disks, not even touched, waiting for processing, but I can't feel the excitement and joy of working on them... Last 2 years impacted me personally quite hard and my spotting world is getting smaller and smaller - which is very sad...
However - 10-13 June I'll be full time spotting on LHR - feel free to meet there :)

Back to forum - I know it's mostly UK centered but I really feel good being there and share some "other than your usual" stuff with all of you.
Big thanks to the Forum Crew for your time and effort!

Let's keep the forum alive! :)
Tom

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I'm looking forward to RIAT like I used to look forward to Christmas when I was 3 !? Even it it rains all day and we get 3 or 4 movements, I know I will have loved it. And part of that will be the "post match analysis" etc etc on this forum.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

I think some things that go in to the 'interesting internet' topic may well have had their own topic back in the day too
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Every couple of years a “is the forum dying” thread comes along. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s wrong.

I actually think it’s more alive than it has been the past two years (naturally).

As for “topics” - theoretically one could start a separate topic for every single thing in the “interesting internet” thread - but each one would get few or no comments, and it will just clutter the place up. Which is why I started it to coalesce interesting things that probably don’t warrant a three or four page discussion.

To say nothing of social media which has been the de facto place to go for pretty much the last decade or more.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

pbeardmore wrote:
Fri 13 May 2022, 10:12 am
I'm looking forward to RIAT like I used to look forward to Christmas when I was 3 !? Even it it rains all day and we get 3 or 4 movements, I know I will have loved it. And part of that will be the "post match analysis" etc etc on this forum.
Me Too!
(Hope the movements comment doesn't refer to the results of too many dodgy beef burgers!)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 13 May 2022, 10:51 am
pbeardmore wrote:
Me Too!
(Hope the movements comment doesn't refer to the results of too many dodgy beef burgers!)
Must start the 'RIAT 2022 Toilet thread' topic soon!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

JMC

Post by JMC »

This forum is dying until 6 B2's are on the movement sheet of RIAT Saturday morning...........impending implosion.

Gregson

Post by Gregson »

iainpeden wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:
Me Too!
I would be excited for RIAT if there was anything interesting attending, so far the particpation list is nothing to get excited over and certainly nothing on there so far to warrant buying a ticket at that price - £62!!!! Are the US sending anyting or is that dependent on war with Russia? Hungarian Hinds are quite nice but little else to get the juices flowing.

Their website feels all geared-up in favour of what tat they can flog you rather than concentrating on what aircraft will be there... 1) a countdown - why? either you know the dates or you don't! 2) I'm not ineterested in stupid red arrows, or flight suit teddy bears, 3) mugs 4) "The ultimate hospitality event" - "Exclusive, shared or Bespoke Solutions" 5) "Merchandise", "50 Collection", "Gifts", "Christmas" etc. etc. It is all just about spend, spend, spend!

Just exactly where is the information about the aircraft attending? It is an Airshow afterall, not a tat-sale!! Well it once was an airshow...

RIAT has fallen along way down and won't be getting back up again, which is a real shame. It certainly has lost it's way and I doubt it will ever recover to it's former glory (pre covid), no not the really good ole days as they are never coming back :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Other than the rubbish for sale, there's not much to shout about for the airshow...

Berf

Post by Berf »

Gregson - that was hilarious - thanks for making me laugh.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Tried hard not to bite the bait, but i'm hooked. (Maybe i've fallen victim to a sarcastic post)

RIAT is a charity run airshow. From all sales, the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust benefits from the profits. Having checked the website, there is nothing on the home page that is loaded with 'tat' unless you specifically go onto the gifts page. You're not forced to buy these things? It's to appeal to the wider range of joe public, not just us self entitled enthusiasts.

As for the price? RIAT needs to make amends for a two year absence and i'm happy to pay that, if that means its future is all but secured.

As for participation? In this current climate what do you honestly expect? Russian Bears? Ukrainian Fencers? F-117's? The people at DBH are just as bonkers enthusiasts as us, do you think they'd turn their noses up at the prospect of making the show even better by deliberately going out their way to decline rarities? Also it's all dependant on what air arms decide to send and of course down to availability. Some enthusiasts live in this deluded dream world where they think DBH go into the aircraft equivalent of Tesco and pick off the shelves what they want to attend.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I’ve been missing a decent on-the-nose funny parody acct, tbf. Place isn’t the same without it. We lost our last good one just before the pandemic.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Gregson wrote:
Fri 13 May 2022, 1:02 pm
iainpeden wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:
Me Too!
I would be excited for RIAT if there was anything interesting attending, so far the particpation list is nothing to get excited over and certainly nothing on there so far to warrant buying a ticket at that price - £62!!!! Are the US sending anyting or is that dependent on war with Russia? Hungarian Hinds are quite nice but little else to get the juices flowing.

Their website feels all geared-up in favour of what tat they can flog you rather than concentrating on what aircraft will be there... 1) a countdown - why? either you know the dates or you don't! 2) I'm not ineterested in stupid red arrows, or flight suit teddy bears, 3) mugs 4) "The ultimate hospitality event" - "Exclusive, shared or Bespoke Solutions" 5) "Merchandise", "50 Collection", "Gifts", "Christmas" etc. etc. It is all just about spend, spend, spend!

Just exactly where is the information about the aircraft attending? It is an Airshow afterall, not a tat-sale!! Well it once was an airshow...

RIAT has fallen along way down and won't be getting back up again, which is a real shame. It certainly has lost it's way and I doubt it will ever recover to it's former glory (pre covid), no not the really good ole days as they are never coming back :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Other than the rubbish for sale, there's not much to shout about for the airshow...
Either an excellent bit of trolling or a seriously delusional post

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Maybe I'll ask my nine year old daughter to put in a good word and positive pitch for the flying suit teddy bear.

She's still not having one at their prices mind!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Ian G wrote:
Fri 13 May 2022, 11:14 am
iainpeden wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:
Me Too!
Must start the 'RIAT 2022 Toilet thread' topic soon!
I’d forgotten about the toilet thread, there were piles of good puns in there.

Draken

Post by Draken »

I bet it would be a steaming hot topic!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I think what Andy has said pretty much sums it up.

Also, after two years without an airshow I'm finding myself drifting away from them tbh; I barely pay any attention to what's being added to the lists and don't really have an urge to go back to one in a hurry. Spotting has been really good at scratching that itch and I've seen a few things I never would have at an airshow.

In terms of forum activity and photo posts, I don't think Flickr helped with their new ownership and policies. Free accounts are limited, PRO membership doesn't seem worth it and I'm not aware of any viable alternative hosting so that's probably been a factor for a few people.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Is internet fatigue a thing? Could that be a factor? I know that I am beginning to become increasingly resentful of how much time I have to spend in front of a screen. When all my daily activities, from work tasks to household management to keeping track of finances all the way through to shopping, booking recreational activities or cinemas, restaurants and so on all involve staring at a screen, I’m starting to not want to do the same in connection with my hobbies. I’d rather live a little. Maybe there are (a lot) more like me out there.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Draken wrote:
Fri 13 May 2022, 4:08 pm
I bet it would be a steaming hot topic!
Pun aside, this would make a good podcast episode..... :thinking: