Avro Lancaster PA474, RAF Gaydon 1975

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Gary_Lewis

Avro Lancaster PA474, RAF Gaydon 1975

Post by Gary_Lewis »

Firstly thank you for letting me join this fabulous site.

As a keen aviation photographer for over 45 years starting in the 1970's I mainly used either Kodak or Agfa 35 mm colour slide film. A recent decision to digitally convert/transfer the best of many thousands taken has meant going through box after box of slides and its proved to be a real trip down memory lane.

The very first photos taken were of Lancaster PA474 , an aircraft I have never got tired of seeing / hearing and photographing.
These pictures were taken at the RAF Gaydon Air Display on the 17th August 1975 and as you can see my early photographic efforts weren't particularly anything to write home about, as at 16 years of age l still had a bit of height to gain, but they were the 'First of Many" so are rather special to me and they do flag up a number of interesting points including the lack of the mid upper turret. The pilot on the day I think was Ken Sneller with "Jacko" Jackson as Co-pilot... what a sight and sound it was being that close... I have been hooked ever since".
Also from the 1970s is a First Day Cover signed by Ken Sneller which was flown in PA from the Stafford Open Day later the same year.

Shown too is a photo of the front cover for the book 'Veteran and Vintage Aircraft' by Leslie Hunt published in 1974. It shows PA over-flying a Shuttleworth display at Old Warden around 1973, any ideas at what height we are looking at there? Barnes Wallis' bouncing bomb was dropped at 60ft I believe. Has PA ever been photographed lower?

I hope to upload more from my archives as the digitalisation progresses during the next few months.

ImageRAF Gaydon slides, 1975 by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

ImagePA474 RAF Gaydon, 1975 by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

ImageFDC, signed Ken Sneller by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

ImageVeteran & Vintage cover by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

DerekF

Re: Avro Lancaster PA474, RAF Gaydon 1975

Post by DerekF »

Welcome to the forum Gary. Look forward to seeing many more golden oldies. It took me a few years to scan all my negatives and slides. Good luck with it!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Ah the little yellow boxes! welcome to the forum, and I'll look forward to having a peep into your archive. Its wonderful that we have the platform to share these things so many years later.

Gary_Lewis

Post by Gary_Lewis »

DerekF wrote:
Tue 17 May 2022, 10:58 am
Welcome to the forum Gary. Look forward to seeing many more golden oldies. It took me a few years to scan all my negatives and slides. Good luck with it!
Hi Derek, appreciate your reply and welcome, thank you.
Yes, I can see it being a bit of a 'labour of love' transferring all the slides, but it will be good to give them a new lease of life after all this time.
For now I may just send a few random examples like the RAF F4 Phantom that also attended the RAF Gaydon Air Display along with a couple more of the Lancaster.
The photography improved with age... fortunately!

ImageRAF F4 Phantom by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

Last edited by Gary_Lewis on Wed 18 May 2022, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary_Lewis

Post by Gary_Lewis »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Tue 17 May 2022, 11:10 am
Ah the little yellow boxes! welcome to the forum, and I'll look forward to having a peep into your archive. Its wonderful that we have the platform to share these things so many years later.
Yes - the little yellow boxes, I used Kodak film initially then changed to mainly using Agfa and occasionally Fuji.
Not sure if you have a particular favourite aircraft type or period of time in aviation? I'll attach a few random ones for now and then upload new threads and the transfer of the slides progresses.
Be great to know your thoughts.

ImageGulf Air Tri Star by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

ImageUSAF C5 Galaxy by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

ImageCanadian Air Force CF-104 Starfighter by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

ImageLockheed L-100 Hercules by Gary Lewis, on Flickr

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Can I ask how you are scanning these slides ? Those above are very good but the use of the frames is unusual ?