Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Post Reply
warthog555
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon 16 May 2022, 8:53 am

Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by warthog555 »

hello everyone. as you may see i am new here. i will be attending the Cosford airshow in June as always! but I am wondering because its been that long, who will the commentators be? i have attended multiple 2000s shows that had Sean Maffett commentating and 2010s which had also had Sean Maffett, as well as Jonathan ruffle and Andy Pawsey and Ben Dunnell.

User avatar
Ian G
UKAR Staff
Posts: 2240
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK
Contact:

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by Ian G »

Ben Dunnell I would most certainly expect....and hope for!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Ben Dunnell
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 9:45 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by Ben Dunnell »

I will again be joining Andy Pawsey at the microphones for Cosford.

warthog555
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon 16 May 2022, 8:53 am

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by warthog555 »

thanks for the answers ian and ben!
to ben im looking forward to hearing your and andys amazing voices over the tannoys!

User avatar
2e1var
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu 13 May 2010, 6:57 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by 2e1var »

Ah, the commentary, I'd forgotten how much it winds me up. Wouldn't be so bad if they paused once in a while but they feel the need to drone on constantly even when nothing is up, oh and the constant reminders to drink water and put on sun cream. Joy.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

JonG96
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed 18 May 2016, 10:13 am

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by JonG96 »

2e1var wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 1:09 am
Ah, the commentary, I'd forgotten how much it winds me up. Wouldn't be so bad if they paused once in a while but they feel the need to drone on constantly even when nothing is up, oh and the constant reminders to drink water and put on sun cream. Joy.
Questionable take. I think it keeps people engrossed in the display during parts of intermission and not wondering what's going on if there were periods of silence.
I also hope they're reminding us to put suncream on this year, to be honest. It means the weather held out and it's not raining lol

Flare Path
Posts: 3147
Joined: Wed 07 Dec 2011, 8:53 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by Flare Path »

2e1var wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 1:09 am
Ah, the commentary, I'd forgotten how much it winds me up. Wouldn't be so bad if they paused once in a while but they feel the need to drone on constantly even when nothing is up, oh and the constant reminders to drink water and put on sun cream. Joy.
I would say that's a fair comment, regarding the old commentary team - prior to Ben Dunnell and post Sean Maffett; let's not forget sometimes it is important to remind people to take care if the sun is out etc. However, in my opinion, the show has been elevated, since Ben took over the mic. He's not done many Cosford broadcasts before and you could tell, but he has certainly become a lot more familiar and confident with the event and he's as good as anywhere else I hear him.

I'm very pleased him and Andy will be at the mic.

User avatar
2e1var
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu 13 May 2010, 6:57 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by 2e1var »

Flare Path wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 10:25 am
2e1var wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 1:09 am
Ah, the commentary, I'd forgotten how much it winds me up. Wouldn't be so bad if they paused once in a while but they feel the need to drone on constantly even when nothing is up, oh and the constant reminders to drink water and put on sun cream. Joy.
I would say that's a fair comment, regarding the old commentary team - prior to Ben Dunnell and post Sean Maffett; let's not forget sometimes it is important to remind people to take care if the sun is out etc. However, in my opinion, the show has been elevated, since Ben took over the mic. He's not done many Cosford broadcasts before and you could tell, but he has certainly become a lot more familiar and confident with the event and he's as good as anywhere else I hear him.

I'm very pleased him and Andy will be at the mic.
Sorry to go off at a tangent, in recent times I've become more and more shocked at the total stupidity of the general public, do we really live in a world where people have to be reminded to put on sun cream when it's sunny ? Really worries me, it doesn't seem to be the odd few, it look like it's the majority now. RG said in his last show, ' let's stop printing "Do Not Drink" on bottles of bleach, wait two years, then have a
referendum'.
To get back on track I used to enjoy Sean, he had character, yes he made mistakes but so did another guy I liked very much, Mr Murray Walker, added a bit of personality to things unlike these modern chaps. Sadly I guess Mr Maffett's character meant he had a sense of humour and that Alton Towers joke meant the end.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 9297
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by Tommy »

Does it hurt anyone to remind them to put on sun lotion and drink fluids?

Of course, it’s a matter for you and I respect that, but it strikes me as a weird thing to get frustrated about.

User avatar
G-CVIX
Posts: 2391
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 7:39 pm
Location: Falmouth
Contact:

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by G-CVIX »

2e1var wrote:
Wed 25 May 2022, 4:44 am
Flare Path wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 10:25 am
2e1var wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 1:09 am
Ah, the commentary, I'd forgotten how much it winds me up. Wouldn't be so bad if they paused once in a while but they feel the need to drone on constantly even when nothing is up, oh and the constant reminders to drink water and put on sun cream. Joy.
I would say that's a fair comment, regarding the old commentary team - prior to Ben Dunnell and post Sean Maffett; let's not forget sometimes it is important to remind people to take care if the sun is out etc. However, in my opinion, the show has been elevated, since Ben took over the mic. He's not done many Cosford broadcasts before and you could tell, but he has certainly become a lot more familiar and confident with the event and he's as good as anywhere else I hear him.

I'm very pleased him and Andy will be at the mic.
Sorry to go off at a tangent, in recent times I've become more and more shocked at the total stupidity of the general public, do we really live in a world where people have to be reminded to put on sun cream when it's sunny ? Really worries me, it doesn't seem to be the odd few, it look like it's the majority now. RG said in his last show, ' let's stop printing "Do Not Drink" on bottles of bleach, wait two years, then have a
referendum'.
To get back on track I used to enjoy Sean, he had character, yes he made mistakes but so did another guy I liked very much, Mr Murray Walker, added a bit of personality to things unlike these modern chaps. Sadly I guess Mr Maffett's character meant he had a sense of humour and that Alton Towers joke meant the end.
I'm not sure if that was what meant the end or he was just past it? I haven't heard the comments but the reviews of the commentary that year are overwhelmingly negative. I don't know how much commentary work he did after that?

My late grandfather was a friend of Sean, and I have enjoyed his commentary in the past. He's had a long and great career but at some point it's time to move on.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the George Bacon "wave your ice creams" style commentary either (plus I've heard him make some pretty questionable, borderline misogynistic comments in the past) but I don't think there's any harm in reminding people to wear sun cream and stay hydrated.

IMO Ben Dunnell is by far the best commentator at airshows in this country.

User avatar
2e1var
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu 13 May 2010, 6:57 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by 2e1var »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 25 May 2022, 8:32 am
Does it hurt anyone to remind them to put on sun lotion and drink fluids?

Of course, it’s a matter for you and I respect that, but it strikes me as a weird thing to get frustrated about.
It's not specifically sun cream, it's the general stupidity of the population. I have the joy of working with the general public and I swear things are getting worse by the day. Thinking about it there's probably genuine concern by the organisers that if they don't warn people about the sun and some plank gets burnt they'll be liable.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff
Posts: 9297
Joined: Mon 14 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by Tommy »

They doubt they’d be liable. Nor do I know what they will be liable for given that sunburn usually heals up after 24 hours.

And yes, some of the population are thick, but I still don’t really see what the problem with an occasional reminder is. I hope I’m not thick, and I’ve been caught out by the sun before at airshows. I do take your point, of course, but idk… still seems to me to be quite low on the list of things to be frustrated about at an airshow.

User avatar
jasonT1981
Posts: 2082
Joined: Fri 19 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by jasonT1981 »

Cosford 2018 I got caught with no sun cream and that was a scorcher. I had it set out on my hotel bed to go into my backpack and thought I'd put it in :/ Thankfully the lady beside me was kind enough to let me use some of hers.

User avatar
2e1var
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu 13 May 2010, 6:57 pm

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by 2e1var »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 26 May 2022, 7:02 am
They doubt they’d be liable. Nor do I know what they will be liable for given that sunburn usually heals up after 24 hours.

And yes, some of the population are thick, but I still don’t really see what the problem with an occasional reminder is. I hope I’m not thick, and I’ve been caught out by the sun before at airshows. I do take your point, of course, but idk… still seems to me to be quite low on the list of things to be frustrated about at an airshow.
It ranks quite high for me, not up there with step ladders and people who slag off the Wing Walkers though, I love the Wing Walkers. Anyway I've just had to sell my tickets thanks to the wife changing our plans so I can't go now and won't have to listen to Ben anyway. How much does a divorce cost these days ?
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 8824
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by CJS »

2e1var wrote:
Fri 27 May 2022, 5:25 am
Tommy wrote:
Thu 26 May 2022, 7:02 am
They doubt they’d be liable. Nor do I know what they will be liable for given that sunburn usually heals up after 24 hours.

And yes, some of the population are thick, but I still don’t really see what the problem with an occasional reminder is. I hope I’m not thick, and I’ve been caught out by the sun before at airshows. I do take your point, of course, but idk… still seems to me to be quite low on the list of things to be frustrated about at an airshow.
It ranks quite high for me, not up there with step ladders and people who slag off the Wing Walkers though, I love the Wing Walkers. Anyway I've just had to sell my tickets thanks to the wife changing our plans so I can't go now and won't have to listen to Ben anyway. How much does a divorce cost these days ?
Well, wherever you're going instead, I hope it's cloudy 👍🏼
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

paulb1973
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed 03 Sep 2008, 7:56 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Cosford Airshow Commentators For 2022

Post by paulb1973 »

warthog555 wrote:
Wed 18 May 2022, 7:34 pm
hello everyone. as you may see i am new here. i will be attending the Cosford airshow in June as always! but I am wondering because its been that long, who will the commentators be? i have attended multiple 2000s shows that had Sean Maffett commentating and 2010s which had also had Sean Maffett, as well as Jonathan ruffle and Andy Pawsey and Ben Dunnell.
My first Cosford show (in 2003) had Roger Hoefling on commentary. Sean Maffett took over at some point.

Post Reply