Planes of Fame Show - 2022

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
MichaelSk47

Planes of Fame Show - 2022

Post by MichaelSk47 »

This has been listed for quite some time on several websites as happening on 22/23 October, which is the weekend following the Edwards AFB show and I would imagine, like myself, that visitors from UK/Europe might have included the POF show as part of their itinerary.
Sadly, I am now starting to think that this show is not going to take place. The website "Airshowstuff" shows it as cancelled, which prompted me to email POF directly for clarification but they have not responded.
However, a further internet search brought up an interesting forum discussion on the website "Warbird Information Exchange" - scroll down to the topic "Planes of Fame cats now out of the bag? …"
Strong rumours there that there is no POF show this year and also, discussion regarding POF's relocation to Santa Maria.

Mike

Re: Planes of Fame Show - 2022

Post by Mike »

Planes of Fame announced months ago that it was cancelled

Berf

Post by Berf »

Yes I did as well but that was pre Christmas. In Jan I emailed them and they confirmed there was no show. They have a flying day with one type of aircraft every month. It is not due to coincide with the previously assumed airshow date but that could change.

MichaelSk47

Post by MichaelSk47 »

Thanks both for your comments. Obviously, I missed the announcement. Incidentally, it's still showing on MILAVIA, which proves that you cannot believe all you read on the internet!
I had my flights and car hire booked in early January '22, primarily for Edwards and thought that this would be a nice add-on. I'm not too upset, as there are still plenty of other opportunities to pursue our hobby in the SoCal/AZ area.
Will be interesting to see if POF do actually move to Santa Maria. The air quality cannot be any worse than Chino.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Yes there's lots to do. After Edwards I am poodling off to Nellis for a couple of days, then down to Palm Springs, Chino, March museums and a car event at Bob's Big Boy Burgers in Burbank or any other car cruise that comes up. See you at Edwards!

Berf

Post by Berf »

And now this: yes on the same weekend as Edwards and yes - more or less the closest other airshow venue to Edwards:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT! This year, Planes of Fame is taking to the skies over Santa Maria, California as one of the performing groups for AirFest 2022. Held at the Santa Maria Airport, AirFest is scheduled for October 15 & 16, 2022.
⭐ Several of Planes of Fame’s vintage warbirds will be performing throughout both days. We’ll be joining an incredible line-up of aerobatic and military performers. These include:
Canadian Snowbirds, USAF F-35A Lightning II Demo Team, USN F/A-18 Super Hornet Demo Team, West Coast C-17 Demo Team, C-130 Demo, E-2 Hawkeye Demo Team, National Guard F-15 Flybys, Red Bull Air Force, Kirby Chamblis, Kevin Coleman, and MANY more! Planes of Fame will also be flying with the F-35A as part of the USAF Heritage Flight and with the F/A-18 as part of the USN Legacy Flight. More information: https://planesoffame.org/events/airfest22
⭐ Become a Planes of Fame AirFest 2022 Supporter
Due to extended time-off from cancellations related to the pandemic, we’ve got some work to do to get many of our aircraft ready for AirFest 2022. Here’s the line-up of what we intend to take to Santa Maria:
✈ Lockheed P-38J “Lightning”
✈ Curtiss P-40N “Warhawk”
✈ North American P-51D “Mustang” (2 aircraft)
✈ Grumman F8F “Bearcat”
✈ Lockheed T-33A “Shooting Star”
✈ North American F-86F “Sabre”
✈ Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15bis
✈ North American B-25J “Mitchell”
✈ Vought F4U-1A “Corsair”
✈ Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless”
✈ General Motors TBM-3E “Avenger”
✈ Vultee BT-13B “Valiant”
In order to get as many of these aircraft ready, fueled, and transported to Santa Maria (and back), we’re seeking sponsors and donors for our Museum flight operations!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Now we know why Edwards hasn't got anything lol

Tempted to do both, its 3hrs between them.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Yes but which way around.. - depends on the Friday at Edwards I guess. I was going on to Nellis so whichever way is not ideal.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The Friday is invite only and I can do without it, I'm coming from Nellis so I'd rather spend the morning in Vegas on Friday and drive down to Palmdale fresh for Saturday at Edwards - drive west overnight for Santa Maria on the Sunday then have a lazy day heading back to LA for my flight home Monday via Point Mugu and Highway 1.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Looking at that line up for Santa Maria, I think Edwards will have to start dropping information out. Even though I've never been to Edwards and I know that a lot of 'based stuff' will be very new to me and good to see, that list already for Santa Maria feels a lot more 'in your face' and enticing right now.

I am part of an organised trip at the moment, and may consider a brief hire car exchange to break off from the group and do Santa Maria instead before heading home. Then again, maybe not. All the 'more experienced than me' av-friends are convinced Edwards is still the place to be. Who knows?
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Mike

Post by Mike »

spellow3010 wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 7:48 am
Looking at that line up for Santa Maria, I think Edwards will have to start dropping information out.
It doesn't work like that. A military show like Edwards will not "have to start dropping information out"

They organise their show for the benefit of the local population (hence the new name, "Aerospace Valley Air Show") and do their own thing. They will not be influenced by another event taking place 200 miles away

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

spellow3010 wrote:
Looking at that line up for Santa Maria, I think Edwards will have to start dropping information out. Even though I've never been to Edwards and I know that a lot of 'based stuff' will be very new to me and good to see, that list already for Santa Maria feels a lot more 'in your face' and enticing right now.

I am part of an organised trip at the moment, and may consider a brief hire car exchange to break off from the group and do Santa Maria instead before heading home. Then again, maybe not. All the 'more experienced than me' av-friends are convinced Edwards is still the place to be. Who knows?
I've bitten the bullet and doing both. Going the slightly longer coast route from Edwards to Santa Maria which is interstate to make sure I can get some grub and fuel! I'm doing 2/3rds of the trip on the Saturday night then getting up early on the Sunday to get to the show.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Mike wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 8:44 am
spellow3010 wrote:
Looking at that line up for Santa Maria, I think Edwards will have to start dropping information out.
It doesn't work like that. A military show like Edwards will not "have to start dropping information out"

They organise their show for the benefit of the local population (hence the new name, "Aerospace Valley Air Show") and do their own thing. They will not be influenced by another event taking place 200 miles away
Okay... sorry. Another thread I'll dip out of now.
I mean, of course, they ain't going to listen to me. But my decision about what to do with myself (that's me only, by the way) will depend on what Edwards does with regards to their information.

Glad we got that clear...
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Berf

Post by Berf »

boff180 wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 9:31 am
spellow3010 wrote:

I've bitten the bullet and doing both. Going the slightly longer coast route from Edwards to Santa Maria which is interstate to make sure I can get some grub and fuel! I'm doing 2/3rds of the trip on the Saturday night then getting up early on the Sunday to get to the show.
I too have adjusted my schedule and will be at Santa Maria on the Friday and depending on what Edwards announces SM on Sat and at Edwards Sunday.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The Central Coast show website has been updated, tickets are now on sale and the flying participants have been published......

Canadian Snowbirds
USAF F-35 Demo Team
USAF Heritage Flight
Navy VFA-122 F-18 Demo Team
Navy VFA-122 Legacy Flight
West Coast C-17 Demo Team
C-130 Demo
E-2 Hawkeye Demo Team
National Guard F-15 Flybys
Red Bull Air Force
Planes of Fame Warbirds
Kirby Chamblis
Kevin Coleman
Aaron Fitzgerald
High Alpha MiG-17
Sammy Mason
RAD Jet Waco
Swamp Fox P-51 Demo
Eric Tucker

Berf

Post by Berf »

What's does the Navy VFA-122 Legacy Flight consist of Boff?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I'm not Boff, but I think this is generally a single 'Gladiators' F-18E flying with one or two available historic ex USN piston-prop or jet aircraft in a Legacy formation? Similar to these.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

Berf

Post by Berf »

Great - thanks Stagger