ROKAF C130's at Boscombe Down - Updated with Dep's

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Disaster Area

ROKAF C130's at Boscombe Down - Updated with Dep's

Post by Disaster Area »

2 of the 3 ROKAF C130's that are visiting Boscombe Down in support of the upcoming visit of the Black Eagles Demonstration Team. It was too dark to photograph the third aircraft!

Image35-730 by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image35-730_e by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image35-730_b by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image35-730_d by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image45-747 by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image45-747_a by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

As I saw them in I thought i'd see them out and joined the many on the perimeter roads at Boscombe Down on Saturday morning. The weather didn't quite play ball but at least I caught the C130 that arrived last on Tuesday evening in daylight!

Image35-730_g by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image35-730_f by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image55-036_a by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image55-036 by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image45-747_d by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Image45-747_c by Chris Parsons, on Flickr
Last edited by Disaster Area on Tue 14 Jun 2022, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: ROKAF C130's at Boscombe Down

Post by Blackbird »

Great shots - especially the first one. Thank you.

It would be good if they could get one on static at RIAT.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Blackbird wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 5:57 am

Yes indeed. Anyone know where they're going while the Air Tattoo and Farnborough are on? Surely they're not going all the way back to Korea and then back again?
...Rad shutters auto.

CJS

Post by CJS »

keithjs wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 7:10 am
Blackbird wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 5:57 am

Yes indeed. Anyone know where they're going while the Air Tattoo and Farnborough are on? Surely they're not going all the way back to Korea and then back again?
Why not? They'd be back there for several weeks, so I imagine from a logistical point of view it would be preferable to have them working for that time than just sitting around waiting.

Agree about the first shot - very nice.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

CJS wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 9:24 am
Why not? They'd be back there for several weeks, so I imagine from a logistical point of view it would be preferable to have them working for that time than just sitting around waiting.
As they depart for Korea tomorrow, it'd be a bit of a logistical nightmare to come back in July for a weekend at an airshow.

The ROKAF has a fleet of 16 C-130s (Hs and Js) and make up the vast majority of their airlift capability. I'm not sure why they'd leave almost a fifth of their fleet half-way across the world just to keep some airshow punters happy.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Firstly, great catch with the pics Chris, a nice rarity to have in the collection.

Its a pity, one at least isn't at RIAT. I'd assume they will need some support when moving between BD and Europe for the shows, so it will be interesting to see if one re-appears around that time as a ferry, and potentially the chance to capture one at that point in time. If not its a case of waiting for the tour to finish I guess?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

cg_341 wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 11:41 am
CJS wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 9:24 am
As they depart for Korea tomorrow, it'd be a bit of a logistical nightmare to come back in July for a weekend at an airshow.

The ROKAF has a fleet of 16 C-130s (Hs and Js) and make up the vast majority of their airlift capability. I'm not sure why they'd leave almost a fifth of their fleet half-way across the world just to keep some airshow punters happy.
I think you've missed my point. I was referring to this comment "Surely they're not going all the way back to Korea and then back again..." In other words I agree with you, why would they hang around to attend RIAT when they can go home and carry on with their day to day duties until they need to come back.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Disaster Area

Re: ROKAF C130's at Boscombe Down - Updated with Dep's

Post by Disaster Area »

Thanks for the comments, just added some departure images