Sigma 500mm f.4 Sports lens

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
danspuggti

Sigma 500mm f.4 Sports lens

Post by danspuggti »

Hi folks,

Does anybody have any experience of using this lens?

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sigma-500 ... b-carousel

Currently using a Canon 100-400mm mk2 on my 7dmk2 and was looking at a possible upgrade (the 100-400 would go on a 2nd camera body) but I can’t find anyone who’s actually used the Sigma lens

Thanks,

Dan
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!

Berf

Re: Sigma 500mm f.4 Sports lens

Post by Berf »

Yes I have it...

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

Berf wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm
Yes I have it...
Hi Berf,

How do you find it for aviation photography?
Are you happy with the images?
Do you/have you used it with a teleconverter?

Thanks for any help/info,

Dan

riatweatherman

Post by riatweatherman »

Hey.

Never used this lens before, but as I have been using the Sigma 800mm Lens for many years now (which I love) I can imagine The Sigma 500mm would be very good.

All the best,

Rich

Berf

Post by Berf »

danspuggti wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 12:37 pm
Berf wrote:
Yes I have it...
Hi Berf,

Dan
Hi Dan

Bought it before I was too old to be able to carry it! Used it for the last RIAT and MAKS and then it was put away for obvious reasons - so although I have had it for a number of years I am not that experienced with it. First, should I buy the Canon 500 - reviews in general said it was marginally better in some circumstances - and it was pretty much double the price so it was a no.

I have used it with a Canon 5DS (yes I know not the best idea for fast moving jets but I like the detail) and a 7DMK2. It's big - but the balance is OK. The images with the 5Ds, when you take out the camera's limitations, are great. I use it with a 1.4 converter - images are fine. With a previous lens I have used a 2x converter but frankly a 2X is not up to it unless the conditions are perfect so I do nto use one with this lens. It works fine with the 7D mk2 but here are my reservations - I find the 7Dm2 to be grainy particularly the sky compared to the quality of a 5D or 5DS it is quite horrible. I have been very disappointed with the 7Dmk2. Usually I would say put your money into the lens - but I really think IMHO your money is best spent on a better camera than the 7dMk2 (BTW I have a not used very much one for sale!) before the 500mm lens. If you do go for it though with the right camera the lens is top quality in my limited experience.

PS. Actually taking a look back I also used it at Radom. If you look on the A few from Radom thread in airshow photos you can see the results of it with 1.4TC.

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

Berf wrote:
Sat 11 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm
danspuggti wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 12:37 pm
Berf wrote:
Yes I have it...
Hi Berf,

Dan
Hi Dan

Bought it before I was too old to be able to carry it! Used it for the last RIAT and MAKS and then it was put away for obvious reasons - so although I have had it for a number of years I am not that experienced with it. First, should I buy the Canon 500 - reviews in general said it was marginally better in some circumstances - and it was pretty much double the price so it was a no.

I have used it with a Canon 5DS (yes I know not the best idea for fast moving jets but I like the detail) and a 7DMK2. It's big - but the balance is OK. The images with the 5Ds, when you take out the camera's limitations, are great. I use it with a 1.4 converter - images are fine. With a previous lens I have used a 2x converter but frankly a 2X is not up to it unless the conditions are perfect so I do nto use one with this lens. It works fine with the 7D mk2 but here are my reservations - I find the 7Dm2 to be grainy particularly the sky compared to the quality of a 5D or 5DS it is quite horrible. I have been very disappointed with the 7Dmk2. Usually I would say put your money into the lens - but I really think IMHO your money is best spent on a better camera than the 7dMk2 (BTW I have a not used very much one for sale!) before the 500mm lens. If you do go for it though with the right camera the lens is top quality in my limited experience.

PS. Actually taking a look back I also used it at Radom. If you look on the A few from Radom thread in airshow photos you can see the results of it with 1.4TC.
Thanks for the info Berf.
I've also watched as many Youtube videos and read as many about it as I can.
Although I've never had an issue with my 7DMK2 a new camera is in the pipe line anyway so that's not a factor.
I have a look through your Radom thread you mentioned :thumbsup_tone1:

Dan

Berf

Post by Berf »

I have gone to the R5 now so it will interesting to see how the Sigma works