Departures questions

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
a3w13photography

Departures questions

Post by a3w13photography »

Hi all. Decided to do Monday departures this year for the first time (normally only do sat and sun).

Just wondering if anyone has any tips and advice?

I don’t normally use ladders but do you need them, is it normally difficult to get a flightline view etc.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Georgeconna

Re: Departures questions

Post by Georgeconna »

Get there at silly of clock for a good shot at getting to the fence line. 200mtr sprint involved.

Ladders further down the compound which is nuts as then everyone is at the same height more of less, It was ideal before just rock up to the early birds @ 8am and pitch up your ladder behind them not bothering anyone.

If you are late and all the fence line is taken up then pointless even going there if you are taking photos that is.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

a3w13photography

Georgeconna wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 4:05 pm
Get there at silly of clock for a good shot at getting to the fence line. 200mtr sprint involved.

Ladders further down the compound which is nuts as then everyone is at the same height more of less, It was ideal before just rock up to the early birds @ 8am and pitch up your ladder behind them not bothering anyone.

If you are late and all the fence line is taken up then pointless even going there if you are taking photos that is.
Ok thanks. I think I’ll get there early then haha
Check out my instagram www.instagram.com/a3w1301 for photos. Seem to post a lot over there 🤷‍♂️

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

East is really close to the action and noise of afterburners all day, but yes, unless you’re there super early, it’s tough to get a spot on the fence. Ladders can work, but just the same, it gets packed out quickly, and can defeat the object if you’re on a ladder and you have a bunch of people on ladders in front of you. The background for shots tends to be quite cluttered, too. I didn’t mind the atmosphere, but I could see how the bunfight might put others off.

West is much more relaxed and pleasant, but the danger is that a lot of stuff is quite high by the time it reaches you (though for some of the jets and heavies wing-waggling, you can get nice topsides). Some fighters do a bit of a “Cape Canaveral” style launch, where they do a sporty take off and at the middle of the showground shoot straight up into the clouds, which won’t result in any useable images from West.

In sheer terms of movements and variety, wherever you go it’s probably the best day’s military spotting in the U.K., probably the world, but photography-wise it can be difficult and depends on what you want out of it.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Is the FRIAT stand open?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

It better had be!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Berf wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 11:58 am
Is the FRIAT stand open?
It is. Monday is the busiest day of the five in the FRIAT stand.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Thanks - it was so long ago I bought the ticket I just couldn't remember if we only got P&V access!

a3w13photography

Tommy wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 7:05 am
East is really close to the action and noise of afterburners all day, but yes, unless you’re there super early, it’s tough to get a spot on the fence. Ladders can work, but just the same, it gets packed out quickly, and can defeat the object if you’re on a ladder and you have a bunch of people on ladders in front of you. The background for shots tends to be quite cluttered, too. I didn’t mind the atmosphere, but I could see how the bunfight might put others off.

West is much more relaxed and pleasant, but the danger is that a lot of stuff is quite high by the time it reaches you (though for some of the jets and heavies wing-waggling, you can get nice topsides). Some fighters do a bit of a “Cape Canaveral” style launch, where they do a sporty take off and at the middle of the showground shoot straight up into the clouds, which won’t result in any useable images from West.

In sheer terms of movements and variety, wherever you go it’s probably the best day’s military spotting in the U.K., probably the world, but photography-wise it can be difficult and depends on what you want out of it.
Thank you. I’m more tempted by west than east purely because I prefer getting photos of things flying than ground taxi. Also if it’s sunny then you have heat haze to consider
Check out my instagram www.instagram.com/a3w1301 for photos. Seem to post a lot over there 🤷‍♂️

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Berf wrote:
Is the FRIAT stand open?
thats where im planning to be on the monday

frank

Post by frank »

rockfordstone wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 8:44 am
Berf wrote:
Is the FRIAT stand open?
thats where im planning to be on the monday
Yup, me too

frank

Post by frank »

So leaving aside the big FRIAT price increase debate, I have been thinking about where to go on Monday for departures. West P&V or FRIAT Grandstand. Always have this debate in my head about the balance between getting esp the big stuff in the air or closer in shots of the smaller stuff. This year the A4 and the Swedish HF are pushing me towards the Grandstand. However just wondering if anyone has more knowledge of their take off characteristics to give advice. The older jets like the Phantoms etc are generally just lifting after the Grandstand but wondering if lighter stuff like the A4 and Swedish HF might be in the air.
Any views, much appreciated

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

frank wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 6:02 am
So leaving aside the big FRIAT price increase debate, I have been thinking about where to go on Monday for departures. West P&V or FRIAT Grandstand. Always have this debate in my head about the balance between getting esp the big stuff in the air or closer in shots of the smaller stuff. This year the A4 and the Swedish HF are pushing me towards the Grandstand. However just wondering if anyone has more knowledge of their take off characteristics to give advice. The older jets like the Phantoms etc are generally just lifting after the Grandstand but wondering if lighter stuff like the A4 and Swedish HF might be in the air.
A-4, Viggen and Draken will be airborne long before an F-4 and the grandstand!

frank

Post by frank »

Andyph wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 7:26 am
frank wrote:
Thanks Andy that is really helpful - much appreciated :-)

PeteDYork

Post by PeteDYork »

Hi - anyone know if it is possible to tow a caravan into the P&V West ? We need to be off our sit eby midday so thinking of P&V east for the afternoon. Thanks

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Andyph wrote:
frank wrote:
Viggens comfortably yes, most Drakens I've seen departing are usually still on the deck as they go past.
ImageSk-35XD Draken AT-160 729 Squadron Royal Danish Air Force by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Not had the pleasure of an A-4 at Fairford before, only seen Singapore ones taking off at Cazaux where you couldn't really see the runway, seemed longish, but they do have quite a high AoA, so maybe just OK.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Loads of parking space on hard standing, so I don't see it as an issue towing it in. Whether you're allowed to is another matter for asking to RIAT themselves I guess.

a3w13photography

Another question I have. One of my party who is going has severe anxiety and learning difficulties. Is it still possible to see the take offs if you aren’t able to get a spot at the crowd line? I think the reports of scrums would trigger something for them. Unfortunately I contacted RIAT and was told there isn’t anything for people with conditions like that and they advise waiting until things start flying before entering through the gates, which is all well and good but if you can’t see anything unless it’s already at 500ft I’m not sure I see the point etc.

(Just to point out this isn’t me trying to be awkward or anything, I personally wouldn’t mind asking politely to get to the front or as close as possible, I’m just trying to think about others who I’m going with health 🙂)

Dom

Post by Dom »

Hi all,

I've received my Mach3 ticket by email. I am very surprised that for monday departures, showgrounds are not open in the timetable. Only the P&V from 7.30AM to 4.30PM.
So I, understand that FRIAT enclosure is not open monday.
Is that right ??

Dom

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think it probably will be. They probably intend “P&V” to also mean the FRIAT area

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The timetable of opening times is in the FRIAT members’ area of the website and it confirms FRIAT enclosure is open on Monday as well as the P&Vs.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

capercaillie wrote:
Mon 04 Jul 2022, 2:55 pm
Andyph wrote:
frank wrote:
Viggens comfortably yes, most Drakens I've seen departing are usually still on the deck as they go past.
ImageSk-35XD Draken AT-160 729 Squadron Royal Danish Air Force by Paul Downes, on Flickr

Not had the pleasure of an A-4 at Fairford before, only seen Singapore ones taking off at Cazaux where you couldn't really see the runway, seemed longish, but they do have quite a high AoA, so maybe just OK.

Draken I did wonder - but then saw it at Zeltweg and was in the air much earlier than I expected. - before the F-4 yardstick!
Viggen will be off and away before anything and A-4s unless crazy heavy are off quick too

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

a3w13photography wrote:
Mon 04 Jul 2022, 4:10 pm
Another question I have. One of my party who is going has severe anxiety and learning difficulties. Is it still possible to see the take offs if you aren’t able to get a spot at the crowd line? I think the reports of scrums would trigger something for them. Unfortunately I contacted RIAT and was told there isn’t anything for people with conditions like that and they advise waiting until things start flying before entering through the gates, which is all well and good but if you can’t see anything unless it’s already at 500ft I’m not sure I see the point etc.

(Just to point out this isn’t me trying to be awkward or anything, I personally wouldn’t mind asking politely to get to the front or as close as possible, I’m just trying to think about others who I’m going with health 🙂)
Well, the only crowd line to speak of is at either P&V East or West (Unless you have access to the FRIAT enclosure of course). At the eastern end (assuming 27 ops) they'll only be taxiing and starting their take-off roll, so you'd need to be at the front or up a ladder to see anything (why, oh why, did they do away with the grandstand?). Having never been to departures at the western end, I can't tell you what the view is like but one assumes that, by the time most of the aircraft have taken off, they will be 'at 500ft'. In that case, there would be no rush to get to the front unless you want shots of aircraft taxiing to back track (again, assuming 27 ops).

I've made a lot of assumptions there, so before anyone points it out, yes, I know what happens when you assume :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

PeteDYork

Post by PeteDYork »

capercaillie wrote:
Mon 04 Jul 2022, 2:57 pm
Loads of parking space on hard standing, so I don't see it as an issue towing it in. Whether you're allowed to is another matter for asking to RIAT themselves I guess.
Thank you for the info - I've emailed RIAT and waiting a response

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Andyph wrote:
Mon 04 Jul 2022, 11:35 pm
Draken I did wonder - but then saw it at Zeltweg and was in the air much earlier than I expected. - before the F-4 yardstick!
Viggen will be off and away before anything and A-4s unless crazy heavy are off quick too
A display configured Draken is usually pretty sprightly, so certainly fits with your Zeltweg memories, when fuelled up and carrying tanks they tend not to be so energetic. Can't recall seeing their two seater carrying ferry tanks before, so it may be alright.