More USAF F-35s to the UK

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
boff180
UKAR Staff

More USAF F-35s to the UK

Post by boff180 »

Now I’ll caveat this that some wonder if he actually meant the two units already in the process of standing up at Lakenheath… but…

This morning President Biden announced he was sending two additional destroyers to Rota and… two additional F-35 squadrons to the UK.

Assuming for one minute they are additional units, where would they go?

As far as I’m aware there’s only space left north side at Lakenheath and that’s a single squadrons worth of shelters.

Andy

verreli

Re: More USAF F-35s to the UK

Post by verreli »

I would be surprised if it's anything other than the 493rd and 495th stand ups. He probably hasn't understood the brief.

Cole

Post by Cole »

:sweat_smile: Reopen Greenham common or upper heyford ! Put them there
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

verreli

Post by verreli »

Well its certanly got the guys and gals at FC excited. But... this would mean around 48 extra machines of which there is no current budget allocation. It gives the US no additional strategic advantage, even with cold war 2 in full swing. I suppose they could do an RAF and pool the jets and have smaller squadrons but any enemy isn't that daft - just the general public.

verreli

Post by verreli »

verreli wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 11:38 am
I would be surprised if it's anything other than the 493rd and 495th stand ups. He probably hasn't understood the brief.
It would be hilarious if that was the case and to save the presidents blushes they feel the need to carry it through and divert some of the jets already on order to two new UK squadrons. Low fly action has been poor of late. Two extra F35 squadrons would be a welcome surprise.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

How about Leuchars or Leeming?

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 1:25 pm
How about Leuchars or Leeming?
Can't see it but Leuchars would be great!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I would imagine these would just be TDY jets in addition to what’s already planned for the 48th, most of which are either still in production or as yet unbuilt.

They had SJ Strike Eagles deployed whilst the 495th were building up and the 493rd were still there in numbers. A TDY won’t bring a full squadron of jets so I would imagine there’s space given the Eagles have moved out and the numbers of based F-35s are barely into double figures.

Edit - pretty sure we also had a deployment from Aviano at the same time as the base was hosting the SJ F-15Es.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Berf

Post by Berf »

US press does not think it is new squadrons - just those already announced

verreli

Post by verreli »

Berf wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 2:22 pm
US press does not think it is new squadrons - just those already announced
Shame, they're mopping up his loose language already.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

verreli wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 1:06 pm
verreli wrote:
It would be hilarious if that was the case and to save the presidents blushes they feel the need to carry it through and divert some of the jets already on order to two new UK squadrons.
If it is two new to UK, I assume, it would be two already current worked up units with US home bases that will be forward deployed on a permanent/rotational basis rather than two completely new units from scratch.

As to where, well, that's another matter. One could fit into LN, but I doubt two could.
One could go to LN, one to Fairford perhaps, or next to Mildenhall, given there's no where else now to put them.

Maybe they might put an 11th hour stop to the imminent closure of Alconbury....!!
Edit: Ooops didn't realise the runway has mostly now gone anyway...... :rolling_eyes:

They put squadron at RAF Marham, as they have the space given how few B's we have........but the septics might complain about 240v and no PX etc., and no baseball pitch.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

GeeRam wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 2:37 pm
verreli wrote:
verreli wrote:
It would be hilarious if that was the case and to save the presidents blushes they feel the need to carry it through and divert some of the jets already on order to two new UK squadrons.
If it is two new to UK, I assume, it would be two already current worked up units with US home bases that will be forward deployed on a permanent/rotational basis rather than two completely new units from scratch.

As to where, well, that's another matter. One could fit into LN, but I doubt two could.
One could go to LN, one to Fairford perhaps, or next to Mildenhall, given there's no where else now to put them.

Maybe they might put an 11th hour stop to the imminent closure of Alconbury....!!
Edit: Ooops didn't realise the runway has mostly now gone anyway...... :rolling_eyes:

They put squadron at RAF Marham, as they have the space given how few B's we have........but the septics might complain about 240v and no PX etc., and no baseball pitch.
move the civilians out of Doncaster, re-name it RAF Finningley and send them there, if they need heavy bomber support there's a Vulcan they might be able to borrow (at a price!).
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

verreli

Post by verreli »

Could always base them at Linton-on-Ouse. They have a nice runway, a few hangers and a cosmopolitan atmosphere. Sure the Americans will feel at home. Just like southern Arizona without the sun.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

andygolfer wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 2:45 pm
GeeRam wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 2:37 pm
verreli wrote:
verreli wrote:

move the civilians out of Doncaster, re-name it RAF Finningley and send them there, if they need heavy bomber support there's a Vulcan they might be able to borrow (at a price!).
Use Finningley and Vulcan becomes gate guard painted overall grey with USAF markings!

frank

Post by frank »

Why not Fairford ?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Apart from Marham, I think the only active (repeat active) base with any spare HAS space is Boscombe; highly unlikely.
I think there is an issue on the USAF bases running different electicsvto the normal UK system and Boscombe has hosted deployments in the, distant, past.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

Might be the runway isnt to the spec. needed because of the heat. Though that might only be applicable to the VTOL type. It's why none went to Yeovilton.

This was Fairford the other week with work ongoing.

https://ibb.co/gFtZ5Vk

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

TheMaster wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 9:04 pm
Might be the runway isnt to the spec. needed because of the heat. Though that might only be applicable to the VTOL type. It's why none went to Yeovilton.
Only applicable to the B version.

And the runway heat issue, was a bit smoke and mirrors anyway, not the real reason they didn't go there.

As for Fairford, there are no HAS there for a start.

Being so quick to get shot of Alconbury and Upper Heyford is coming back to bite them, as was predicted many years ago.

RAF is hardly in a better situation though.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Doesn't Leeming have any HAS available? Not that I think it's a real possibility and that I do believe these extra squadrons are just the ones already announced.

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

The Leeming HAS sites were in a poor condition when we boltholed there in 2007. Lots of faults left unresolved and routine maintenance not being done due to imminent departure of Tornado. The biggest issue with modern jets though is the IT systems and infrastructure required for ops, engineering, logistics and all the other support functions. Huge costs and lead times to plan, purchase, build, install and commission them.

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

Why do they need a HAS site? Typhoons don't need them.

LAHarve

Post by LAHarve »

Woodbridge or Bentwaters any good now days?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Benwaters would be a great location for F-35s as long as you ignore the fact that the runway, taxiways, parking areas, operational, logistics and living facilities are all unsuitable.

Woodbridge is slightly worse, seeing as it doesn't have any taxiways, parking areas, or operational, logistics and living facilities.

What do you think has been happening at these locations since they were closed some 30 years ago?

Mike

Post by Mike »

The investment at LN, already an operational fighter base with infrastructure, hardened shelters, living accommodation, etc in use on a daily basis, was in the order of several hundred million dollars and a number of years to prepare for the F-35s. To recreate that on another of the bases talked about in this thread would run into billions, and would take years to set up.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I did see Greenham Common mentioned somewhere, I wasn't paying great attention, but I sincerely hope it was tongue in cheek. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/