Eating out/Pubs in Swindon

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Maccyd

Eating out/Pubs in Swindon

Post by Maccyd »

Looking to tap into the depth of knowledge here! My brother and I are staying in Swindon over the RIAT week. Previously we've been to the Rendezvous ( I think, chinese buffet, pretty decent) and the Jewel in the Crown for Indian food. However that is the extent on my knowledge of the area does anyone have any suggestions that are worth a visit? Not looking for michelin starred restaurants, but somewhere with a nice atmosphere and decent grub!

I'm sure there must be more than the two I've mentioned above, a nice pub would be handy also...

Thanks for any suggestions.

CJS

Re: Eating out/Pubs in Swindon

Post by CJS »

Maccyd wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 8:14 pm
Looking to tap into the depth of knowledge here! My brother and I are staying in Swindon over the RIAT week. Previously we've been to the Rendezvous ( I think, chinese buffet, pretty decent) and the Jewel in the Crown for Indian food. However that is the extent on my knowledge of the area does anyone have any suggestions that are worth a visit? Not looking for michelin starred restaurants, but somewhere with a nice atmosphere and decent grub!

I'm sure there must be more than the two I've mentioned above, a nice pub would be handy also...

Thanks for any suggestions.
Good job too in Swindon...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

glendale

Post by glendale »

there is a very nice globel buffett by the holiday inn town centre.to get different meals you need to to the old town.if you like things simple there are two wetherspoons in the town centre.also near the jewel in the crown there are a couple of very good italien places and also the funky gorilla which is korean based

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

The Greek Olive at Faringdon Road. Only problem I ever had there was that there wasn't enough place. https://thegreekolive.co.uk/

Another on I've been to is Da Vinci, but it can be hit or miss, some food is good, some is hardly eatable. Over RIAT weekend it receives a lot of traffic, which in some years it didn't handle very well. Also the lest interested personel I've ever seen in a restaurant was there, walking around with a very big pepper mill.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The pub next to the Swindon north premier inn on blunsdon hill is good but you would need to book.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

Thanks for the replies, think we'll give the Da Vinci a miss...hardly a glowing review!, but some other great suggestions.

Much appreciated, cheers!

glendale

Post by glendale »

the queens tap outside the rail station is good but does get a bit lively friday and saturday nights

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

glendale wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 10:28 pm
the queens tap outside the rail station is good but does get a bit lively friday and saturday nights
Lock your daughters up Swindon, The AV Geeks are here!

neil_davidson2

Post by neil_davidson2 »

Head up to the top of Victoria Hill - it's a bit of a slog but about 10mins walking from the Jewel. There are loads of places to eat up there - I'd recommend The Biplob on Wood Street for Indian & Mario's Italian is on the opposite side. I've not eaten in the Thai Orchid but I've heard good reviews of that one too.

Pub-wise if you just want somewhere to drink then the Roaring Donkey is tucked away on the back streets in the same area.

For pubs to eat in I don't know much about the town centre but a cab-ride out are the Kingsdown which serves good food but is an Arkells house so beer can be hit & miss (no food Sunday evening though). We've also had good meals at the Manor Farm in Haydon Wick which generally has a good range of ales. There's also the Wichel Inn in Wichelstowe but we've not been in there since it changed name.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Was shocked to find out the greek olive was closed until somewhen in August. Diverted that night to Aby's kitchen. It doesn't look too good from the outside, but the food appeared quite good for Indian (which is not up to my personal taste). Also as crappy as it looked from the outside, so cared for looked it inside.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program