Belgian Air Force Days 2023 - Kleine-Brogel Airbase

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Andyph

Re: Belgian Air Force Days 2023 - Kleine-Brogel Airbase

Post by Andyph »

Did the possible nice extra not get confirmed Chrisse- or still in negotiation?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Looking forward to it, got my vouchers pre-ordered - just got to remember to pay for the loo lol

After what happened at Radom over the weekend around fluids I wonder if the no food and drink thing will be relaxed to allow water?

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Don't think it will be quite as hot Andy! It's only Belgium - I was thinking of going to Athens but decided its a crazy time of for a show there!
Although was anyone at Florrennes on the Thursday before the 2016 show - owch super hot! But great show.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I've been to a Belgian September show before where it was so hot they were pushing a litre bottle of water into your hand as you left and sprayed you with a hose!

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 27 Aug 2023, 6:32 pm
I've been to a Belgian September show before where it was so hot they were pushing a litre bottle of water into your hand as you left and sprayed you with a hose!
Fair enough. I hope its cool though after Radom.

nicmae

Post by nicmae »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 27 Aug 2023, 5:54 pm
Looking forward to it, got my vouchers pre-ordered - just got to remember to pay for the loo lol

After what happened at Radom over the weekend around fluids I wonder if the no food and drink thing will be relaxed to allow water?
Their policy on food is unclear. The FAQ is different in the 3 languages, in French (9th question) and Dutch (11th question) they say that you can take food, but that it's not recommended. In English, there is no mention of this issue.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The only mention on the English page is in the Spottersday FAQ where is says all external food and drink is prohibited.

Also says for the spotters day that bags should be kept to the absolute necessary to fit camera gear - no additional bags will be allowed.

StrixPhotos

Post by StrixPhotos »

Do we have any information on small step ladders etc? or are they usually prohibited?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Midnight Hawks cancelled, as predicted by many

Replaced by the Patrouille Tranchant Magisters on the Saturday. It looks as though both Melun and KB will get the Patrouille de France and the Magisters one day each over the weekend, alternating between the two shows.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Things move fast in the final days before the show. Ongoing technical woes with their Hawk fleet has led to the cancellation of the Finnish air force Midnight Hawks. You will appreciate that losing a national display team is a big blow, you can't just pull a replacement out of the bag.

Still, hopefully you will be pleased that the organization has been able to find another jet team, albeit civilian, to fill the gap on Saturday 9 September. The French Patrouille Tranchant flies 5 colourful Fouga Magisters and with the history of the Fouga in the Belgian air force, they will surely be a welcome sight at Kleine-Brogel.

Also cancelled are the Wingwalkers and the P-51 that was going to do the USAF Heritage flight.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

No disrespect to the Midnight Hawks -who I would love to see - but a team of 5 Magisters is really a fantastic addition to me, and given their rarity - preferable to the Midnight Hawks!

Incidentally, I did email the organisers and was told that a small picnic is permitted on spotters day but it must be carried within one camera bag.

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Chrisse wrote:
Tue 29 Aug 2023, 7:02 am
Things move fast in the final days before the show. Ongoing technical woes with their Hawk fleet has led to the cancellation of the Finnish air force Midnight Hawks. You will appreciate that losing a national display team is a big blow, you can't just pull a replacement out of the bag.

Still, hopefully you will be pleased that the organization has been able to find another jet team, albeit civilian, to fill the gap on Saturday 9 September. The French Patrouille Tranchant flies 5 colourful Fouga Magisters and with the history of the Fouga in the Belgian air force, they will surely be a welcome sight at Kleine-Brogel.

Also cancelled are the Wingwalkers and the P-51 that was going to do the USAF Heritage flight.
Will there still be a heritage flight with the F-35 and another oldtimer, like the spitfire perhaps? or is that also cancelled?

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

With the Midnight Hawks, Heritage flight, P-51 demo and the Wingwalkers all cancelled, will we see more replacements besides Patrouille Tranchant? Or will there just be more gaps, breaks and an earlier end to the show? Not alot of time left to find anything by now.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

I doubt the cancellations will amount to many gaps. Stop worrying about things beyond your control and just enjoy what is on offer.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Dutch wrote:
Tue 29 Aug 2023, 1:38 pm
Will there still be a heritage flight with the F-35 and another oldtimer, like the spitfire perhaps? or is that also cancelled?
The Heritage Flight Programme doesn't work like that. It is only flown by a small number of accredited US pilots.

There are plenty of P-51s in Europe that can be (and have been in the past) used by the HF, so this is more likely to be a pilot availability issue rather than the aircraft being unavailable.

F35aLightning

Post by F35aLightning »

an overview is posted at the Practical Info, where the statics aircrafts will be, catering, restrooms etc

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

clearstone wrote:
Tue 29 Aug 2023, 3:50 pm
I doubt the cancellations will amount to many gaps. Stop worrying about things beyond your control and just enjoy what is on offer.
Well i don't know, but with those 4 cancelled without replacements, you are talking about 50 mins - 1 hour of cancelled demo's right?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The Midnight Hawks have been replaced by a similar jet team so no time lost there, except on Sunday which already had its own Jet Team and unique flypasts so was a longer day.

And anyway, KB being KB you probably need a little flex time to counter the fog delay in the morning! ;-)

Anyway it can't be long before we have another post from Chrisse delivering more bad news so back to my original point. Stop worrying about what you (or KB) cannot control - enjoy what is at the show as that is really all you or anyone else going can do. They will put on the best show possible with what they can get.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

clearstone wrote:
Thu 31 Aug 2023, 1:39 pm
Anyway it can't be long before we have another post from Chrisse delivering more bad news so back to my original point.
<flashheart>It's me, hurray!</flashheart>

Oh, German static Typhoon cancelled.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

clearstone wrote:
The Midnight Hawks have been replaced by a similar jet team so no time lost there, except on Sunday which already had its own Jet Team and unique flypasts so was a longer day.

And anyway, KB being KB you probably need a little flex time to counter the fog delay in the morning! ;-)

Anyway it can't be long before we have another post from Chrisse delivering more bad news so back to my original point. Stop worrying about what you (or KB) cannot control - enjoy what is at the show as that is really all you or anyone else going can do. They will put on the best show possible with what they can get.
Also, It will almost certainly be a better show than the Dutch, British or German air forces will ever put on again!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Well, gaps will probably be longer than the periods between Belgian journos reminding everyone Max Verstappen is half-Belgian but shorter than the gap between the previous and next Dutch airshow :shushing_face: :innocent:

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Chrisse wrote:
Thu 31 Aug 2023, 3:31 pm
clearstone wrote:
Anyway it can't be long before we have another post from Chrisse delivering more bad news so back to my original point.
<flashheart>It's me, hurray!</flashheart>

Oh, German static Typhoon cancelled.
But static is probably easier to replace. Even at late notice.

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Chrisse wrote:
Thu 31 Aug 2023, 6:01 pm
Well, gaps will probably be longer than the periods between Belgian journos reminding everyone Max Verstappen is half-Belgian but shorter than the gap between the previous and next Dutch airshow :shushing_face: :innocent:
Oof, that hurt! Well, the Dutch can't host any airshows at the moment because of the F-35 transition. Always one step ahead of their jolly neigbours :kissing_heart:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Dutch wrote:
Fri 01 Sep 2023, 8:11 am

Oof, that hurt! Well, the Dutch can't host any airshows at the moment because of the F-35 transition. Always one step ahead of their jolly neigbours :kissing_heart:
Well, unfortunately that is only part of the story of course. Apart from the RNLAF airshow, other civilian organizers in the Netherlands have sadly also been hesitant to go ahead with their shows due to nitrogen policy issues and related permit problems but that would lead us too far. I do hope it will all work out, I love Dutch shows, civilian or military.

Air Belgium replaced their A330-900NEO with an A330-200CEO.
Also, we somehow overlooked the T-6 solo display by Stijn Dejaeghere on the website.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Chrisse wrote:
Thu 31 Aug 2023, 6:01 pm
Not specifically regarding KB, but with regard to gaps or a shortened program due to cancellations I'm surprised that star items flying twice is not used more to fill in the program.
Midnights Hawks Cancelled - no problem it just opens an extra slot for Dream Viper and Draken or one of the warbirds- whatever to display twice.
Perfect! Might not be Plan A but allows a full program to go ahead and doubt there would be many complaints about repetition .

I know some countries are a bit reluctant to fly twice in a day - (the French I think maybe?) but I've seen it before in the past and the Finnish Hornet practiced twice in close succession on the Thursday at Radom.

Any thoughts?