Belgian Air Force Days 2023 - Kleine-Brogel Airbase

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Belgian Air Force Days 2023 - Kleine-Brogel Airbase

Post by boff180 »

Car park B opened just before 0730 today

Bliman1

Post by Bliman1 »

I am going Sunday with my father. Surely you are allowed to bring your own sandwiches and bottles of water (just a 1.5l plastic bottle), No?
Did anyone bring their own bottles and sandwiches?

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

boff180 wrote:
Fri 08 Sep 2023, 5:33 pm
Car park B opened just before 0730 today
Thanks
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Bliman1 wrote:
Fri 08 Sep 2023, 6:22 pm
I am going Sunday with my father. Surely you are allowed to bring your own sandwiches and bottles of water (just a 1.5l plastic bottle), No?
They were letting in 1 bottle of water, I saw people with their own food but only in small amounts - not full picnics.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Spent the morning watching outside to sit in the shade and arrived at the base just after the thunder tigers.

Amazing day, and no issues with taking food or drink, and I saw a lot of people with huge amounts of gear (trolleys, ladders, chairs).

Sounds like tomorrow could be a bit of a nightmare but we shall see.

Also the warning of a 20 minute walk to the airshow from car park B was quite an exaggeration- only half that, so not a disaster if you need to return to the car (assuming you are allowed of course....)

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Fri 08 Sep 2023, 7:11 pm

Also the warning of a 20 minute walk to the airshow from car park B was quite an exaggeration- only half that, so not a disaster if you need to return to the car (assuming you are allowed of course....)
Depends how far you go down the crowd line. We were past half way so prob about 20 mins. Felt longer after a very long day in the sun :).

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

That was car park B1 today which we didn’t fill. There is also a B2 which I waited next to for the car park to open yesterday morning.

According to google maps the distance from the entrance gate to car park B2 is over 600 metres further away.

I think the length of walk comments apply to those arriving later when talking about Car Park B. The walk is even further from Car Park C.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Our group had no issues with liquids, we’d stopped at a local petrol station first thing to stock up and they seemed to have no issue with us bringing in carrier bags with several 1 litre bottles apiece. The hour’s queue to get in was indeed a pain though.

A cracking day today, and well worth hanging on until the end to see the Viggen and Draken fly in clear blue skies.

Bliman1

Post by Bliman1 »

boff180 wrote:
Fri 08 Sep 2023, 6:43 pm
Bliman1 wrote:
They were letting in 1 bottle of water, I saw people with their own food but only in small amounts - not full picnics.
Thank you.
That is quite miserable that they only allow 1 bottle of water. Especially in these temperatures. I remember at the luchtmachtdagen in Leeuwarden they were handing out many many bottles of water for free a couple of years ago. Here They seem to restrict them. Which to me is baffling. At least I hope they allow sandwiches.
Hopefully I have a better picture tomorrow from people that were there and report here.
I am going to airshows for more than 40 years and I never heard of such silly policies.

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

Bliman1 wrote:
Fri 08 Sep 2023, 10:05 pm
boff180 wrote:
Fri 08 Sep 2023, 6:43 pm
Bliman1 wrote:
Thank you.
That is quite miserable that they only allow 1 bottle of water. Especially in these temperatures. I remember at the luchtmachtdagen in Leeuwarden they were handing out many many bottles of water for free a couple of years ago. Here They seem to restrict them. Which to me is baffling. At least I hope they allow sandwiches.
Hopefully I have a better picture tomorrow from people that were there and report here.
I am going to airshows for more than 40 years and I never heard of such silly policies.
Yesterday I entered trough the B car park and had not a singular problem, we could take whatever we wanted including two 2L bottles

Oh yeah, its really foggy

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

We arrived at 8am yesterday after getting lost (follow the directions not memory) and we were in for 9:15. No issues will water (I had two bottles on the outside of my bag and was just asked to confirm it was water). The comms kept changing even as last as Thur night so I assume the message didn't get through to everyone on the gate yesterday.

Today we were queueing on the road for car park B at 7am, car parks opened at 7:30, security opened at 8:15 and we were past the ticket point by 8:32 (after waiting for it to open at 8:30. Again two bottles of water and no issues. Just really keen on knives and laser pens. Would take these guys over RIAT anytime. Several lines for the bag checks and 5 or 6 people on each one. Some were more keen than others on opening all compartments etc. but no issues. Also separating security and tickets is a great idea.

Agree the original 1 bottle of water rule was crazy and unsafe in this heat. Hopefully they turn the taps on before mid day today so we can refill.

Only complaint from Friday was the vendors and pee pee points were only open near the entrance end of the flight line so quite a walk down for either.

It is very misty this morning but burning off steadily. Have a great weekend everyone.

Today

Kurnass

Post by Kurnass »

Be very early tomorrow. Parking is a total tragedy today. And I put it mildly…

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Getting in was great. In car park at 7.45 and through into show by 8.30. RIAT take note this is how you get people in to a show

F35aLightning

Post by F35aLightning »

I had no problems too, only had to wait 30 minutes, and left with no problems!

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Well so far I’ve been in the queue for the shuttle bus for about 90 minutes. Spoiling what was otherwise an excellent day. It’s an utter shambles, and there’s people passing out from exhaustion.

Edit: finally on a bus. Capacity 40, departed with 16 people on, despite there being thousands still queuing. Ridiculous!
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Today was HOT but good fun, tomorrow should be interesting - my feet are in shreds!

The water points were heavily used.

One thing to note was you got money back if you dropped used bottles in at the recycling point - something not explained in English anywhere.

My 50 odd euro voucher hasn't lasted two days, and the vast majority has gone on fluids!

Saw the posts about issues with Car Park C, they eventually issued bottled water and waffles for sugar to everyone waiting.

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

Loved the spottersday, bare queue at security, not a too large crowd and tho the heath easily doable, tho saturday was a hell, arrived early, got into a queue of at least 5 to 10 thousand people and eventually decided to head back taking the decision based on health with the heath, this was from car park A with a overfull bus, then the busses dropping us for a 15 minute walk to B and there to just find total hell, I do know I wasnt the only one to decide this. Retried today trough C with a friends help and advice, and wow, parking went amazing with just a 15 minute walk to security getting trough in less than 4 minutes arriving onto base infront of the Portugese F16s, further a not too long walk to show centre, tho hearing stories from B today it was just as a hell as yesterday. Tho the temperatures today were high held out good today and really enjoyed the lineup and displays, tho if attending again I'll probably just go to the spottersday and not the showdays..

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I must be getting all the luck... straight in to car park B with no issues whatsoever, security was brilliantly well organised and took no time at all, and getting out was a breeze!

I've scarcely experienced better organisation at a show.

Lovely flying, albeit way too hot at times.

Only question is why do they charge for the toilets.... so odd...

Any tips on watching departures tomorrow?

Bliman1

Post by Bliman1 »

We went to parking B and it was great. We stood close to the entrance and we had no problem getting there with basically no standing still. We never had this experience, ever (and we have gone to hundreds of airshows). It was faultless, with no congestion.
Then we basically did not have to wait at the entrance and security went very fast (please next time do not mention only small bottles and insinuate you cannot bring your own food on the website).
The flying was great (sadly we had to stand at the start of the landing strip due to my dad not being so good healthwise to go to the middle, that meant that most of the action that was far right of the control tower was a bit to far away and some planes and helicopters ignored the far left basically. And the action was more to the right.
It was super super hot and I had to fill my bottle with water (which was no problem and I did not have to wait) and I was on the verge of feeling sick due to the heat (they were constantly cooling people down with fire trucks).
I always love it that you have the sun in your back here (Sanicole is basically ruined by having the sun in your face).
A couple of things would make this great and that is that people could stand where now the static is (the static is also in the way of viewing the planes taking off and such) because I feel that people can stand closer to the landing strip in RIAT and that adds so so much to the experience. But I don't know if this is possible but it would be great (I would take it over the static to be honest, I always found that in Kleine Brogel). I would also have love to see a bomber or so (but who wouldn't) instead of getting twice the same act (although it is a a great act). I also would have liked a dynamic display from the thunder tigers (like simulating an attack and such).
Then with departing, we had again to our great surprise zero problems (In Sanicole we basically have to wait hours to get going again with our car). Here we were constantly rolling and we were very soon home (around 50min drive from our home).
So yeah all by all it was great and very well done from the organization (and I am normally very critical).
See you next time.

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I still look back at two amazing days, besides traffic jams and long waiting lines. The show was great!

But something stuck to me, when the Belgian commentator ended sunday with something along the lines of: "The future of Belgian airshows is not looking great, and we are not sure if the Belgian Airforce Days will come back, but we hope to see you in the future or at Sanicole 2024".

As a Dutchie, not really able to travel to lets say the UK for RIAT, i felt some level of sadness. Recently heard from a RNLAF guy that the Dutch airforce days are not likely to ever come back, what do you guys think about the Belgian ones? Also no new date has been set, so it does look uncertain. Are we setting up for a future of less and less airshows in Europe until it eventually will die out and be a thing of the past? It has always been a big part of my life as the main event to look forward to in a year.

What are your takes on this?

Kurnass

Post by Kurnass »

Kleine Brogel and Florennes will be adapted to the F-35, with major reconstruction planned or being done. So for the next few years, possible no BAF Days as we know them. And after all reconstruction, no one knows.
Just wait and see

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I had a wonderful weekend and really had nothing to complain about.

As for the future of airshows, I am worried about it as like many others airshows are the best bits of the year and I spend a long time looking forward to them and even planning lots of other things around them. Spotting at a base is nice, but there is nothing like a proper military airshow.

Thank god for RIAT, but I really wish there was more available! I expect I will be at Sanicole next year though.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Sun 10 Sep 2023, 7:51 pm
Only question is why do they charge for the toilets.... so odd...
I think it's pretty standard in much of Europe to charge for toilets, certainly when I've been to Belgium and France you have to pay for public toilets.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Public toilets is understandable - but at an airshow where everybody is going to need to have a pee at some point during the day... why not just add it on to the ticket price?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Or just use the woods, like most of the attendees at KB or Sanicole seem to do