Zigermeet 2023 -18/19 August

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Andyph

Zigermeet 2023 -18/19 August

Post by Andyph »

This years version is due 18/19th August- now called ZigAirMeet

Nothing of substance confirmed yet and with the Swiss fighter competition done and dusted it is less likely likley to have as many front line fighters.

Still it looks like a could be a great show - anyone else fancy it?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Zigermeet 16th and 17th August - Mollis, Switzerland

Post by boff180 »

They're expecting at least one Swiss Air Force display and are hoping to arrange for an F-35 to be on static display.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

sounds quite a bit less than the 2019 show

Sall

Post by Sall »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 19 Jan 2023, 8:32 am
They're expecting at least one Swiss Air Force display and are hoping to arrange for an F-35 to be on static display.
Official program so far:
https://www.zigairmeet.ch/deutsch/programm/

Even with one or two Swiss Air Force displays and F-35 on static - very thin program...

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

With the exclusion of a Mustang, Viggen and Hunter, that's pretty much the same civil lineup as in 2019.

I wouldn't call that weak, the military schedules aren't out yet.

Last time they bagged the Wings of Storm.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Zigermeet 2023 -18/19 August

Post by boff180 »

Pat Suisse self confirmed

In 2019 these did not operate from the airfield (none of the home team did) as parking space for fast jets is literally at a premium (3 or 4 mountain hangars are operational only for overnight storage).

They also performed their signature breaks.etc to the North where the valley is much wider rather than in front of the crowd.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Zigermeet have this morning confirmed the Pat Suisse, Swiss F-18 and Swiss Parawings displays.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Anyone else going this year? In the past has anything departed on the Sunday or do they hang around until the Monday?

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

What a couple of days…not sure if anyone else went from the forums, but I can safely say that Mollis is the most picturesque airshow venue I have ever attended.

I thoroughly enjoyed every act: even what I would normally class as filler (the Pitt’s for example) was flown excellently, and in that setting it just makes everything pop.

Sunburnt and 2500 photos later, I can’t wait for the next one!

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Yep was there too, decided to attend regardless of participants after having been there 2019 for the first time (just a 2,5h drive so a no-brainer for me). Quite a place for an airshow, hard to imagine fast jets being thrown around there when you see that narrow valley for the first time. And the distance of the public to the runway is just nuts. Also the access to the live apron makes this venue special, great to be just a few meters away watching the aircraft and pilots preparing for the display. Dream Viper was the best act in my opinion, he really made use of the landscape and climbed the mountains incredibly close to terrain. Too bad the C-17 cancelled that would have been a highlight at this small airfield. Struggled with the heat at times but worth every drop of sweat. Hope I’ll find the time to post some shots later and would be grateful if you do as well mictheslik ;-)

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

It might take me a while to get through them all! Agree on the distance to the runway point….I don’t think I’ve ever been closer to a departing fast jet! I genuinely think if the C17 hadn’t have cancelled its wingtip would have been close to the crowd line!

As a postscript to the above, I thought I’d drive over to the airfield this morning to see if anything was moving and was stunned at how open it was. Turns out that what was the main taxiway is now a public cycleway so there was pretty much open access to the whole airfield with no barriers. Got some decent shots of the Rafales departing, so definitely worth the punt!

.mic