Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
DaveBr
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:08 pm

Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by DaveBr »

I'm planning on going to Air Legend this year for the first time.
https://airlegend.fr/en/the-event/

Interested to know if anyone has any experience of previous shows they can share, particularly whether the 'Spotters' tickets are worthwhile. I'm currently considering Spotter tickets for Friday and Saturday (there's mention of an exclusive evening display) and standard entry for Sunday.

Thanks.

Mike
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Mike »

Spotters tickets give access from Friday afternoon onwards. There were a few arrivals and practice displays last year. I think they might give early access to the main aircraft parking area before they open it up to the public in the mornings of the show days too, but I'm not certain about that.

It's a nice show. A good mix of vintage/warbirds and modern military, and a friendly atmosphere. The early ones featured quite a few tableaux with camps, military vehicles, static aircraft and reenactors, but there were not so many last year.

Last year we did Friday and Saturday at the show, then headed up into Belgium for Sanicole (Kleine Brogel this year) for the Sunday, and we'll probably do the same (or perhaps in reverse) this year.

User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by jalfrezi »

I had the spotters package in 2021, it's OK for the practice displays and arrivals - although we didn't get the promised evening show due to the bad weather! :rolling_eyes: There are two runways at Melun, with most of the jets using the far runway, so if you're a photographer bear that in mind. With the spotters package you get access to two fenced off areas on the crowdline, so it's easy to get a spot at the front - although if it rains it can become a bit of a quagmire, so don't take your best shoes! i think you could probably get away with not having the spotters package on the airshow days, you do get access to the static area 30 mins before the main crowd, but a lot of aircraft still have covers on at that time!

These shots are from the Friday in 2021 - before the weather turned. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWRXPyK

We have some reviews on our site from previous years. Here's my review of the 2021 show. https://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/over ... ir-legend/

If you want to know anything else, give me a shout.

DaveBr
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:08 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by DaveBr »

Thanks both for the info.

I've been wanting to go to Villaroche since it started - I had plans for 2020 (had a hotel booked), but obviously that didn't happen. I've started looking into it again today as a consolation prize for not being able to go to Flying Legends.

I think the main appeal of the spotters tickets are a) getting in on Friday and b) the promise of a sunset display on Saturday. As you've said, could probably manage without the dedicated area.

Will probably be a quick there and back - Thursday night tunnel, Friday morning travel down to the show, weekend at the show, home on Monday. Don't have the stamina for tearing around Europe to multiple shows on the same weekend, but respect to those that do... :-)

User avatar
8674planes
Posts: 914
Joined: Sat 15 Oct 2011, 11:44 am
Location: Essex

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by 8674planes »

The Flying Bulls have self confirmed with their P51D, P38, B25 and F4U Corsair

https://www.flyingbulls.at/de/events-stories/events

Classic Formation from Switzerland self confirmed also:

https://www.classicformation.com/agenda
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Andyph
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Andyph »

DaveBr wrote:
Wed 22 Feb 2023, 11:54 am
Thanks both for the info.

I've been wanting to go to Villaroche since it started - I had plans for 2020 (had a hotel booked), but obviously that didn't happen. I've started looking into it again today as a consolation prize for not being able to go to Flying Legends.

I think the main appeal of the spotters tickets are a) getting in on Friday and b) the promise of a sunset display on Saturday. As you've said, could probably manage without the dedicated area.

Will probably be a quick there and back - Thursday night tunnel, Friday morning travel down to the show, weekend at the show, home on Monday. Don't have the stamina for tearing around Europe to multiple shows on the same weekend, but respect to those that do... :-)
Sounds a great plan Dave - I was looking at something similar, then got tempted with both Paris and KB but I also don't have the stamina!, before finally settling on just doing KB!
Now I've booked KB to stop me tormenting myself on which way to go!

Still Paris looks great - seems to have a feel of how airshows used to be.

Have a great weekend there!

User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Any point of going on the Friday? I assume it’s just for arrivals and a couple of practice displays?

Website now says sunset show is on Saturday too.

Andyph
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Andyph »

Looking good here.

a few more quality warbirds added - including the Tempest!
and the Hunter, Mig 15 and Sabre.

Also French Navy Rafales now. Along with the Air force solo Rafale display and Requin Mike the Rafale pairs display!

Such a shame this is same week as KB - nothing like this in the UK these days

User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Andyph wrote:
Mon 22 May 2023, 8:48 pm
a few more quality warbirds added - including the Tempest!
Is it on their website? I can only see the Hawker Fury. Though if the Tempest is flying by then I’m sure there’s a good chance it gets booked as the Sywell based warbirds seem to be popular attendees at this show.

Andyph
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Andyph »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Fri 26 May 2023, 1:33 am
Andyph wrote:
Mon 22 May 2023, 8:48 pm
a few more quality warbirds added - including the Tempest!


Is it on their website? I can only see the Hawker Fury. Though if the Tempest is flying by then I’m sure there’s a good chance it gets booked as the Sywell based warbirds seem to be popular attendees at this show.
Hi Jakub,

I'm 95% sure it had the Tempest on the website - with no photo -just the aircraft type.
The website has change in the last 48 hours , so impossible to confirm.

It might be me reading Fury and typing Tempest - I am a bit dyslexic and do things like that sometimes - but I'd wager money the website said Tempest.

Andy

User avatar
Col. Chibani
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun 27 Mar 2016, 8:15 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Col. Chibani »

Andyph wrote:
Fri 26 May 2023, 3:34 am
Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Fri 26 May 2023, 1:33 am
Andyph wrote:
Mon 22 May 2023, 8:48 pm
a few more quality warbirds added - including the Tempest!


Is it on their website? I can only see the Hawker Fury. Though if the Tempest is flying by then I’m sure there’s a good chance it gets booked as the Sywell based warbirds seem to be popular attendees at this show.
Hi Jakub,

I'm 95% sure it had the Tempest on the website - with no photo -just the aircraft type.
The website has change in the last 48 hours , so impossible to confirm.

It might be me reading Fury and typing Tempest - I am a bit dyslexic and do things like that sometimes - but I'd wager money the website said Tempest.

Andy
As soon as I saw your post about the Tempest, I did check on the website and I saw announced a "Fury", with no photo.
I am afraid we are in your 5% ...
Or the Melun airshow webmaster is dyslexic as well !

Andyph
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Andyph »

Col. Chibani wrote:
Fri 26 May 2023, 8:50 am
Andyph wrote:
Fri 26 May 2023, 3:34 am
Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Fri 26 May 2023, 1:33 am
Andyph wrote:
Mon 22 May 2023, 8:48 pm
a few more quality warbirds added - including the Tempest!


Is it on their website? I can only see the Hawker Fury. Though if the Tempest is flying by then I’m sure there’s a good chance it gets booked as the Sywell based warbirds seem to be popular attendees at this show.
Hi Jakub,

I'm 95% sure it had the Tempest on the website - with no photo -just the aircraft type.
The website has change in the last 48 hours , so impossible to confirm.

It might be me reading Fury and typing Tempest - I am a bit dyslexic and do things like that sometimes - but I'd wager money the website said Tempest.

Andy
As soon as I saw your post about the Tempest, I did check on the website and I saw announced a "Fury", with no photo.
I am afraid we are in your 5% ...
Or the Melun airshow webmaster is dyslexic as well !

Owch! 5% it undoubtedly is!

Sorry everyone for the wrong steer.

Still, looks a super show

User avatar
Col. Chibani
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun 27 Mar 2016, 8:15 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Col. Chibani »

Latest addition to the Melun flightline is (among others) the german-based Me-262 replica ! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Andyph
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Andyph »

Col. Chibani wrote:
Fri 16 Jun 2023, 8:17 am
Latest addition to the Melun flightline is (among others) the german-based Me-262 replica ! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
Looking awesome - Wish it wasn't same weekend as KB

User avatar
Nwalch
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu 13 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Nwalch »

jalfrezi wrote:
Wed 22 Feb 2023, 10:58 am
There are two runways at Melun, with most of the jets using the far runway, so if you're a photographer bear that in mind.
We are also booked for KB but now considering the mad dash across Europe for VR on the Sunday. When you say far runway for fast jet take offs do you mean the East/West runway with the North/South (19) for the displays?

I also noted the orientation (sun) isn't ideal esp in the morning. Any thoughts having shot it?

Stagger2
Posts: 1914
Joined: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Stagger2 »

Hi Jalfrezi. We're still looking for clarification on that last "Far Runway" issue mentioned in your very useful 22nd Feb 2023 posting above. That could well influence my choice of viewing position on the day, allied to available sun & wind direction? TIA. :nerd:

Mike
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Mike »

There’s a runway that runs in front of the crowdline that the smaller aircraft use.

There is another longer one, at 90 degrees to it, off to the right of the crowdline, that the larger aircraft and jets use. This one is not accessible for photography from the public area.

Andyph
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Andyph »

Looks like the Hunter has dropped off the website list.

But a Ju52 has been added

User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Shame about the Hunter but the Ju 52 will be good to see - think the last time I saw one was at Flying Legends in 2015

Mike
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Mike »


darkman
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun 19 May 2013, 4:02 pm

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by darkman »

Seriously tempted. Enjoyed my last trip. Hawkeye Ju52 and Sabre are enticing

User avatar
st24
Posts: 8157
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Sexville

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by st24 »

Mike wrote:
Fri 04 Aug 2023, 7:10 pm
Aeronavale CAP 10 team and E-2 Hawkeye added to the list.

https://airlegend.fr/en/aircraft/patrou ... 10-marine/

https://airlegend.fr/en/aircraft/hawkeye-e-c2/
CAP10 team - marvelous! I really thought they'd retired them with the Rallyes...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 10:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Salis Collection F4U Corsair, P-51 ‘Little Rebel’ and P-47 have been added on the website.

Kurnass
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 22 May 2023, 10:46 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Kurnass »

st24 wrote:
Sun 06 Aug 2023, 8:28 pm
Mike wrote:
Fri 04 Aug 2023, 7:10 pm
Aeronavale CAP 10 team and E-2 Hawkeye added to the list.

https://airlegend.fr/en/aircraft/patrou ... 10-marine/

https://airlegend.fr/en/aircraft/hawkeye-e-c2/
CAP10 team - marvelous! I really thought they'd retired them with the Rallyes...
No… they even bought a few new ones

Andyph
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue 23 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Re: Villaroche Air Legend 2023

Post by Andyph »

a few additions mainly trainers and the Fouga team - nice!

Melun was self confirmed by Requin Mike the pairs Rafale team earlier in the year. But nothing yet from the show.
Not that it really matters as the solo Rafale and the Navy Pair are already confirmed

Post Reply