FRIAT Forum

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
boff180
UKAR Staff

FRIAT Forum

Post by boff180 »

It’s FRIAT Forum week.

For those that aren’t going, it may be worth adding your questions and queries to this thread so that those who are can consider asking the question themselves.

Ta

Andy

wdg

Re: FRIAT Forum

Post by wdg »

Please can you ask whether FRIAT members require parking passes, and if so what we need to do to get them (will they be sent out with our FRIAT passes automatically)

Hopefully something will get posted in the members' area after the forum - I don't think I ever saw last year's writeup online

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

FRIAT don’t need passes for car parking; I called to check a month or so ago.
My impression, no more, is that it’s a way to record the number of cars attending.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rebel14

Post by rebel14 »

For departure day will the disabled enclosure be opened up as it was in 2022 allowing for more front row space

RS2

Post by RS2 »

For P&V West will there be a clear ladder line, why not have it back a certain distance from the rope. Okay its not as busy as P&V East as a lot of stuff turns off early, plus heat haze kills a lot of the photos, but it is a lot lot busier than it used to be. The result now is that ladders dominate the fence line, last year there was supposed to be a East West divide within the area but this was only marked with a couple of cones and over time ladders spilled into both. Why not allow ladders full length but a certain distnace back behind seats, or if an east west divide, way back behind the seats only area. Also some control on all the queue jumpin that goes on at P&V West on the Thurs morning especially. Just before opening time, folks walking down with trollies, seats, cases etc to join their one mate that has saved them their 10 places in the queue.

frank

Post by frank »

rebel14 wrote:
Sat 18 Mar 2023, 1:31 pm
For departure day will the disabled enclosure be opened up as it was in 2022 allowing for more front row space
Sorry I missed the Monday departures. Were FRIAT members able to use the disabled enclosure on the Monday. What a brilliant idea if that was the case.
Let’s have it for 2023 please.

frank

Post by frank »

So my question for the Forum if anyone is going. Can we have a better method for distributing the FRIAT application forms. Why can’t we use the same number as we got this year. A lot of FRIATers go to the P&Vs rather than the stand on Thursday. I know there is some system for the campsites to pick up forms early on Thursday morning but it doesnt work if you ain’t camping next door.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Two things I posted previously:
1. Dedicated FRIAT entrance at security on all gates (it was I understand on blue last time but I come in through red and there was not one) - even if it is just for 0730-0830.
2. More pilots visiting the enclosure. The few that visited last year went down very well - much better than the embarrassing situation down at the vintage village where a bloke was walking around with a load hailer pleading with people to come and see the pilots - and no one bothered at least when I was around there. Thanks in advance if you bring them up.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

On aircraft, it might be interesting to hear three things:

1) what has been the impact of the war in Ukraine - are air forces more eager to show off their military capability, or are rising costs an issue?

2) is there any public reason why post-pandemic the USAF have pencilled in RIAT early in their calendars, and then appear to have scrubbed? Is it more an “intention” thing, or..?

3) now the show is back on an even keel, what are the long-term differences/issues arising from the pandemic that weren’t issues before?

Not dealbreakers if no one asks, but it’ll be interesting to see how the land lies post-Pandemic.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Would they ever consider doing a shuttle bus on departures day again?
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

AndyJohn68

Post by AndyJohn68 »

iainpeden wrote:
Sat 18 Mar 2023, 11:54 am
FRIAT don’t need passes for car parking; I called to check a month or so ago.
My impression, no more, is that it’s a way to record the number of cars attending.
Interesting; I also queried this and got emailed an update to my FRIAT order that included parking passes??

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

On top of Tommy's questions....
The only Theme that's been announced is 'Skytanker 23' -- is that it, or are there others so come?
Is there a special flypast planned as part of the Skytanker theme?
Anything planned with regards celebrating Charles becoming King, or to to commemorate the death of QEII ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Can FRIAT please explain the lack of commentary provision in the enclosure, and assure that it will be in place this year?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Wed 22 Mar 2023, 3:57 pm
Can FRIAT please explain the lack of commentary provision in the enclosure, and assure that it will be in place this year?
Yes!

This x 1000.

I spoke to Wendy about it last time and she explained that every time she turns it up she gets complaints from people who want no commentary in their video, and every time she turns it down she gets complaints from people that want to hear it.

Personally I think as its an air show - the commentary is a big part of the *show* element. Really glad you brought this up Wrexham as its a real bugbear of mine!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

You can have the speakers from up the Green end if you want......no, really, I insist........
( As you can guess, I'd be quite happy without the PA system )

Edited to add....
There you go, another question for FRIAT -- can we have a 'quiet zone' on the crowdline area, where there aren't any PA speakers?
아직도 숨어있다

Berf

Post by Berf »

Use the system tour guides use!

MiG_Eater wrote:
Wed 22 Mar 2023, 8:22 pm
Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Wed 22 Mar 2023, 3:57 pm
Yes!

This x 1000.

I spoke to Wendy about it last time and she explained that every time she turns it up she gets complaints from people who want no commentary in their video, and every time she turns it down she gets complaints from people that want to hear it.

Personally I think as its an air show - the commentary is a big part of the *show* element. Really glad you brought this up Wrexham as its a real bugbear of mine!

wdg

Post by wdg »

How about having the commentary on the Saturday but not on the Sunday, or vice-versa. Announce which way round it will be in advance, and you can plan your time in the grandstand and/or going round the statics accordingly. Not perfect if there are any differences in the flying programme, or the weather is bad one day, etc, but seems like it would be a reasonable compromise.

On a related note, assuming it can be done legally (which I think would be possible with the tower's permission, although I'm no expert) would it be possible to have ATC played through the speakers during Monday departures?

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Probably on my own here, but I put asking for the commentary to be turned down so it doesn't ruin your video, right up there with expecting everyone to get out of the way of your photos. Seems very entitled to me but that's just my opinion. Commentary has been part of airshows since forever, surely a video at an airshow is expected to have commentary in the background?

AndyJohn68

Post by AndyJohn68 »

Gt5500 wrote:
Thu 23 Mar 2023, 9:14 am
Probably on my own here, but I put asking for the commentary to be turned down so it doesn't ruin your video, right up there with expecting everyone to get out of the way of your photos. Seems very entitled to me but that's just my opinion. Commentary has been part of airshows since forever, surely a video at an airshow is expected to have commentary in the background?
I agree; commentary is part of the offering of the show. Those who don't want it on videos should certainly have the option of a no commentary zone, but it shouldn't be enforced on others.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

CAP403 states that a public address system, "when installed, must be audible throughout the whole Spectator Area" - never quite understood how this is permitted to happen unless it doesn't directly translate across to MAA events? Seems to me like best practice though IMHO.

As has been said above, the commentary is part of the show for sure. And those not in favour of it do get ample opportunity for filming without it during arrivals, departures and practice displays...

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Wed 22 Mar 2023, 8:56 pm
can we have a 'quiet zone' on the crowdline area, where there aren't any PA speakers?
that's the green end whenever there's a helicopter display, surely? ;)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Maybe needs a separate topic, rather than clog this one with should they/shouldn't they discussion?
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Wed 22 Mar 2023, 8:56 pm
You can have the speakers from up the Green end if you want......no, really, I insist........
( As you can guess, I'd be quite happy without the PA system )

Edited to add....
There you go, another question for FRIAT -- can we have a 'quiet zone' on the crowdline area, where there aren't any PA speakers?
Are you in FRIAT? Why would that have any relevance to FRIAT?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

It's as relevant as pretty much every other post on this topic......feel free to criticise them as well, or are you just trolling ?
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Thu 23 Mar 2023, 2:31 pm
It's as relevant as pretty much every other post on this topic......feel free to criticise them as well, or are you just trolling ?
Not everyone is a troll just because they don't fall in line with your thinking Brevet.

I see plenty of questions relevant to FRIAT being asked, speaker free zones randomly positioned on the airfield to satisfy miserable outcasts who aren't requiring inclusion within FRIAT isn't one of them. :kissing_closed_eyes:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/