Waterbird – Wings over Windermere 11-12 May

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
TJJ

Waterbird – Wings over Windermere 11-12 May

Post by TJJ »

The Waterbird replica project was the subject of two TV documentaries on Yesterday Channel and Channel 4. I was recently asked to design the book which covers the history of the original aircraft which was destroyed in a hangar collapse and the various challenges in creating a modern replica.

https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/warbird-wo ... 9499726001
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/war ... /73860-005

The Lakes Flying Company, the charity which owns and operates the aircraft brought Waterbird up to Windermere from its base in Liverpool with the intention of performing some public flights from the Lake on Thursday and Friday along with a couple of Aviat Husky floatplanes. The viewing area was on the lake shore at Brockhole visitor centre, with a jetty on one side. The sun was directly opposite creating very bright conditions off the water. On Thursday the Waterbird was able to fly several hops before having an engine problem and having to be towed back to shore.It turned out that a con rod had broken, so on Friday they towed it round to be on static display on the shore. The two Huskies, G-ODIP and G-WATR, were able to display as well. Both days had a good turn out of local people. The intention is to create a permanent base on Windermere for Waterbird.

Here are a few pictures from both days. It was a real challenge because the display area was way out on the lake, the sun and jetty hampered things as well and lots of people wanted to get close to Waterbird on the beach, so not my best efforts. But it was a pleasure to watch this special aircraft in spectacular surroundings.

Last edited by TJJ on Sun 14 May 2023, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

Mike

Re: Waterbird – Wings over Windermere 11-12 May

Post by Mike »

Some nice shots of an excellent project. I understand the engine has now gone the way of many Rotecs and eaten itself :-(

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

A con rod on one of the upper cylinders let go, so they don't think that a hydraulic lock was a likely cause. A real shame as the engine can't have that many hours on the clock.

Two take off pictures at 400mm, no crop.

This seems to be when the engine fails. Lots of smoke is visible.

A couple more Husky shots as well.

Last edited by TJJ on Sun 14 May 2023, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

TJJ wrote:
Sun 14 May 2023, 8:33 am
A con rod on one of the upper cylinders let go, so they don't think that a hydraulic lock was a likely cause. A real shame as the engne can't have that many hours on the clock.
I have a number of friends who have operated Rotecs over the years. Many are very uncomplimentary about them, some are downright hostile.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Are the Huskies based at Windermere? I ask because it's my intention to go to the Lake next Sunday and it would be good to see them.

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

No. They had special permission to operate on the lake for the event. There is a 10 mph speed limit. The flying had to be after 7 pm last week so that the commercial operations on the lake had finished. G-WATR was operating out of Cark. Not sure where G-ODIP was from.

They want to have more aircraft operating in the future, and the local MP is supportive, as I talked to him on Friiday. Of course, the engine issue has to be resolved frst.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Thanks for that

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

G-ODIP is based at Harwarden but was in and out of Kirkbride a fair bit that week.