Cosford 2023 thoughts and views?

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Cosford 2023 thoughts and views?

Post by Tommy »

To add - I found the KC-135 odd yesterday. They’re not at all regulars to Cosford despite their relative proximity.

This is based on nothing, but perhaps they did have a B-1 lined up, and they dropped out at the last minute, and the USAF offered a KC-135 in consolation. Which, again, is why you don’t hint at “surprises” because then you get egg on your face if it goes Pete Tong.

Cole

Post by Cole »

It did seem a little odd that their 'big' suprise was a KC135.

I mean yeah its cool, but its not going to blow your socks off is it.

seemed a little too over-hyped if it was a KC135 they were alluding to
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

pete310183

Post by pete310183 »

For me it was a decent day out, weather was a huge bonus best Cosford weather I can ever remember. There were very noticeable gaps in the display but that’s already been covered in the many unfortunate cancellations unfortunate but can’t be helped. In terms of the displays themselves it often comes down to expectations, I went knowing the herc, A400 and F35 were not full displays and as such what they did met my expectations. In terms of the others, the typhoon was by far then best British typhoon display I have seen in many years, the Swiss were very good and unlike at RIAT the RJF didn’t feel lost across a huge display line as such I could appreciate their display much more than usual. The big disappointment for me were the reds it felt like they were displaying in Wolverhampton they were that far away and as for the routine it’s the same, time to change it up a bit I think. Overall a very enjoyable day out. Can’t wait for RIAT !!

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Bit of a different experience for me at the show, I got tickets for my Dad and me for the Squadron Reunion enclosure. Free tea, coffee, and water, decent loos with (no queues!) and a table and chairs to perch on. There was also a marquee to take shelter from the sun if required. The only real downside was the walk to the crowd line for the displays I wanted to photograph, however, due to the walk, I actually spent more time simply watching than photographing and quite enjoyed it.

In regards to the display, well, if it wasn't for the Patrouille Suisse, it would have gone down as bang average, even for Cosford. Not all the organisers' fault but building up the "surprise" KC-135, both on Social Media and over the PA, only to have it let them down was quite an own goal. I thought the Reds were ok, much better than the 7-ship shambles of 2022, and as said elsewhere, one of the better Typhoon displays by the RAF.

On the plus side, my Dad enjoyed "his" Father's day present and I was back home by 18.20.

A special mention to Christophe Simon in the Cap 10, a beautifully flown display :clap:

eddywinch82

Post by eddywinch82 »

Yes I really enjoyed the Airshow, and excellent weather, so many highlights, it was really good in my opinion, despite the cancellations. I am a fan particularly of warbirds, but enjoyed the Eurofighter display, and the noise from the F35 Lightning was something else when hovering and as it departed.

And I was so made up the BBMF engineers fixed the Lancaster, to enable it to close the Cosford Airshow And the Display was longer than usual too, a fitting end in the Dambusters 80th Anniversary year, to an really good Airshow, thankyou so much to them. I agree about the BBMF displays, they would be better, with topside passes. But I still enjoyed the BBMF Fighters displays.

I enjoyed the Rolls-Royce Spitfire and The P51 Mustang display, it was interesting that the Spitfire display was more distant than the Mustang's, although some passes were close.

I also enjoyed the Red Arrows and Patrouille Swiss Displays. As mentioned the Red Arrows display was quite distant at times. I read on this forum I think, that they were trying to avoid overflying the village of Allbrighton. Due to the post Shoreham crash regulations. So I enjoyed virtually all of the displays I saw, I did miss the odd one when going for a toilet breaks.

It was a shame there were a number of cancellations, I was dissapointed the Vampire went tech, as I love classic Jet displays. Also I would have liked, to see the KC135 Flypasts. And see the Eurofighter Typhoon display with the BBMF Lancaster. But no fault of the organizers. Also I saw the T28 Trojan departing at the end of the Airshow, and was surprised it didn't display, as it wasn't a static exhibit.

loads of thanks to all the people, who were involved in making the Airshow happen. I can't wait to come to next years Airshow.

Best Wishes

From Eddie Winch ))

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

One of my criticisms of this year’s show would be the atrocious site layout. There was a complete lack of space along the crowdline due to cars, food vendors, and ice cream vans being parked far too close to the front. At one stage a car forced its way through spectators in an attempt to exit, clipping chairs and tents as it passed by. The over-excessive use of orange barriers throughout the car park also made it difficult to access the showground from the crowdline.

bedfordshirevulcan

Post by bedfordshirevulcan »

Frogfoot wrote:
Mon 12 Jun 2023, 4:04 pm
One of my criticisms of this year’s show would be the atrocious site layout. There was a complete lack of space along the crowdline due to cars, food vendors, and ice cream vans being parked far too close to the front. At one stage a car forced its way through spectators in an attempt to exit, clipping chairs and tents as it passed by. The over-excessive use of orange barriers throughout the car park also made it difficult to access the showground from the crowdline.
Didn't really see any change to site layout just less stall on the main avenue vintage village in the main stalls area not by helicopter flights and a poorly position Irish helicopter in a back carpark, the orange barrier fence has always been up to mark out emergency service lanes which year where far better marshalled to stop abuse and keep the parking area segregated and marshalled into a sensible amount of exit lanes ,sadly it's always a tight site not sure what they can do if they lower number by 20% the ticket prices would have to go up a lot to cover the loss

woody

Post by woody »

Had a great day. Not a classic but a good airshow. Personally didn't mind the small gaps in the display, gave it time to carry out other duties. We watched the display from the west end adjacent and were parked by the 06 threshold. On leaving I must big up the RAF guys doing the traffic management. At every junction they were doing the merge in turn rule which worked.
Will probably go next year, just hoping for a stronger line-line-up.
Best regards
Steve

Cole

Post by Cole »

The orange barriers need to have far far far more crossing points.

It felt like you were doing a 5K just trying to navigate to the crowdline from the showground.

It is unacceptable, i have no mobility issues at all and i thought it was a struggle at points.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Cole wrote:
Tue 13 Jun 2023, 7:44 am

It felt like you were doing a 5K just trying to navigate to the crowdline from the showground.

It is unacceptable, i have no mobility issues at all and i thought it was a struggle at points.
Agree. I don`t know of any other airshow that uses this system. It`s a problem every year at Cosford.

I`m 80 and do not have a problem with mobility but they are still a pain.

bedfordshirevulcan

Post by bedfordshirevulcan »

Cole wrote:

I suppose the problem is if you leave a gap it would have to be marshalled as their was complaints last year these lanes were being used by everyone to drive in stopping a lady leaving in a emergency ,don't think their any other shows with such a big on site car park to manage and keep emergency access through

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

bedfordshirevulcan wrote:
Tue 13 Jun 2023, 7:50 pm
Cole wrote:

I suppose the problem is if you leave a gap it would have to be marshalled as their was complaints last year these lanes were being used by everyone to drive in stopping a lady leaving in a emergency ,don't think their any other shows with such a big on site car park to manage and keep emergency access through
Thats a fair point but at RIAT, Duxford etc where emergency access may also be required in the car parks barriers are not used . There were barriers between the car parks and toilet facilities requiring quite a detour to access the toilets from the car park.

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 12 Jun 2023, 12:40 pm
To add - I found the KC-135 odd yesterday. They’re not at all regulars to Cosford despite their relative proximity.

This is based on nothing, but perhaps they did have a B-1 lined up, and they dropped out at the last minute, and the USAF offered a KC-135 in consolation. Which, again, is why you don’t hint at “surprises” because then you get egg on your face if it goes Pete Tong.
I attended the show as media and did ask the team about the B-1B, and they did ask the question, but no response was forthcoming.