Cosford 2023 thoughts and views?

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
JMC

Cosford 2023 thoughts and views?

Post by JMC »

Positives for me:

Typhoon - He brought it as close to the display line as he could didn’t he?

Chinook - Always impressive.

Patrouille Suisse - will be sorely missed on the circuit, they’re brilliant!

First time at Cosford - The Jags and museum pieces are cool!

Negatives:

(I might ruffle some feathers here so strap in)

The show-ground itself - It was like a Jeremy Kyle set with airplanes plopped in as a reminder that it was an airshow/RAF museum, as well as it just being, well, a mess? (Reminded me of Manston in 2013)

F-35 - The hover saved its bacon, as the first two passes were shrug worthy.

Red Arrows - Do they ever change anything? It seems like when they’re at the drawing board during training they say ‘put the red white and blue smoke on they’ll be content with that’. Everytime i’ve seen the Patrouille De France, i’m always amazed at how much more dynamic they are. There’s other things I notice about the Reds also, like their final break used to be a lot lot closer and so did some of their main formations, now they’re quite a way back. Some parts are nice still, like the the vertical split!

BBMF Spitfire & Hurricane - Am I the only one that notices how distant they are compared to civilian owned displays?

Weather - I can’t stand airshows when the sun is beaming down at show centre. But that cannot be helped.

The social media channels before the show - It was like a 15 year old was given the passwords.

If I was youngster - I wouldn’t be chomping at the bit to join the RAF based on that. Sign of the times though eh?

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Re: Cosford 2023 thoughts and views?

Post by Ian G »

Talking to the Swiss and Jordanians yesterday, they had to make some adjustments to the display to avoid Albrighton.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Was there any mention of it being the Patrouille Suisse's final season today? I had the online show radio commentary on on-and-off throughout the day today, and heard the show commentary team saying they hope to welcome the team back soon.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Professor_M wrote:
Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:14 pm
Was there any mention of it being the Patrouille Suisse's final season today? I had the online show radio commentary on on-and-off throughout the day today, and heard the show commentary team saying they hope to welcome the team back soon.
2024 is the last season for them

Lakenbeef

Post by Lakenbeef »

JMC wrote:
Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:05 pm
Positives for me:

Typhoon - He brought it as close to the display line as he could didn’t he?

Chinook - Always impressive.

Patrouille Suisse - will be sorely missed on the circuit, they’re brilliant!

First time at Cosford - The Jags and museum pieces are cool!

Negatives:

(I might ruffle some feathers here so strap in)

The show-ground itself - It was like a Jeremy Kyle set with airplanes plopped in as a reminder that it was an airshow/RAF museum, as well as it just being, well, a mess? (Reminded me of Manston in 2013)

F-35 - The hover saved its bacon, as the first two passes were shrug worthy.

Red Arrows - Do they ever change anything? It seems like when they’re at the drawing board during training they say ‘put the red white and blue smoke on they’ll be content with that’. Everytime i’ve seen the Patrouille De France, i’m always amazed at how much more dynamic they are. There’s other things I notice about the Reds also, like their final break used to be a lot lot closer and so did some of their main formations, now they’re quite a way back. Some parts are nice still, like the the vertical split!

BBMF Spitfire & Hurricane - Am I the only one that notices how distant they are compared to civilian owned displays?

Weather - I can’t stand airshows when the sun is beaming down at show centre. But that cannot be helped.

The social media channels before the show - It was like a 15 year old was given the passwords.

If I was youngster - I wouldn’t be chomping at the bit to join the RAF based on that. Sign of the times though eh?
Really can’t fault Matt Bright in the typhoon. I saw him twice at MAF, he was superb.

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

Just got back from an enjoyable day. I missed out on tickets so made do with viewing outside so cannot comment on the showground exhibition.

It was an 'ok' show but not one of Cosfords best I'm afraid. Pat Suisse were very good and polished as always, Reds i thought were pretty good too. Loved the Chinook and Typhoon seemed pretty sharp this year. The F-35 was never going to be a proper display so it's hard to comment on that really. (Will we ever get a full display?!) P-51 whistling away was very nice but I agree that some of the acts seemed distant and high. I think it was a great idea to end with the Lanc as sometimes it can get lost within the programme if on earlier. Shame it couldn't have paired up with the F-35 for a Dambusters tribute...but perhaps I'm in cloud cuckoo land! Shame they kept the Falcons Herc holding so long... was this preventing it from landing? Nice to see the Atlas fly through twice.
There were a lot of 'fillers' and gaps for me not helped by multiple cancellations and items going tech I suppose (especially the Belgian NH-90 which I was looking forward to seeing). Anybody know what happened to the Vampire? And was a B1 ever on the cards?
Let's hope Cosford can get back on track next year. To sum up..a fairly decent show and an enjoyable day, but can do much better

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:17 pm
Professor_M wrote:
Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:14 pm
2024 is the last season for them
Thankyou - getting ahead of myself then.

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Given the thunderstorm currently passing through the area we got very lucky with the weather today. I might need a canoe to get from the services back to my car.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

binbrook87 wrote:
Sun 11 Jun 2023, 6:28 pm
Just got back from an enjoyable day. I missed out on tickets so made do with viewing outside so cannot comment on the showground exhibition.

It was an 'ok' show but not one of Cosfords best I'm afraid. Pat Suisse were very good and polished as always, Reds i thought were pretty good too. Loved the Chinook and Typhoon seemed pretty sharp this year. The F-35 was never going to be a proper display so it's hard to comment on that really. (Will we ever get a full display?!) P-51 whistling away was very nice but I agree that some of the acts seemed distant and high. I think it was a great idea to end with the Lanc as sometimes it can get lost within the programme if on earlier. Shame it couldn't have paired up with the F-35 for a Dambusters tribute...but perhaps I'm in cloud cuckoo land! Shame they kept the Falcons Herc holding so long... was this preventing it from landing? Nice to see the Atlas fly through twice.
There were a lot of 'fillers' and gaps for me not helped by multiple cancellations and items going tech I suppose (especially the Belgian NH-90 which I was looking forward to seeing). Anybody know what happened to the Vampire? And was a B1 ever on the cards?
Let's hope Cosford can get back on track next year. To sum up..a fairly decent show and an enjoyable day, but can do much better
Summed up perfectly in my opinion.
Typhoon was one of the best displays I've seen of it in recent years. On several occasions, at Cosford, I've thought the foreign jets blew it away but this year it was close to the crowd and had a lot of afterburner.
I agree with the original poster about the Red Arrows. Which is why I get baffled by the evacuation of the crowd line after the red arrows every year. Literally have seen the same display sequence year after year.
The great thing I love about Cosford is it provides a lot of variety in the flying and caters to everyones interests from Fast jets, helicopters, warbirds and heavies. I'm usually keener on the fast jets yet I was absolutely loving the CAP-10 display especially, as well as the warbirds. The Atlas was also nice to see!
I do feel like the C-130J Hercules should have been a bigger focus on the static display though. I think it should have been in a similar position to the Atlas a few years ago where it is practically impossible to miss.
There are improvements for next year and on a score out of 10 I'd give it a 7/10 as I did really enjoy the show. I definitely want to see an improvement on the communications side though for next year.
Last edited by JonG96 on Mon 12 Jun 2023, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

To be fair to 15 year olds they would be a damn sight more competent at social media than Cosford were this year.

SteveLeighton

Post by SteveLeighton »

Never left Cosford feeling like this. Disappointing to say the least. Some stuff beyond control but even so.. Show ground and statics a joke. One helicopter parked in the car park! Massive gaps in the display schedule, some explainable but some not. A lot of WTF moments but the highlight of the day was the commentator leaving the mic open and asking someone in the tower "does anyone know what's going on?"

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

People can make excuses about Aircraft cancellations etc. The flying display was extremely poor.

But the real bummer, was the ridiculous parking of aircraft in the static display. I don’t have the words to describe the underwhelming effort. Totally in their control, no excuse.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Mixed feelings to be honest, its clear the organisers did try to get some surprises, A400 and the KC or RC 135, could not clearly hear the commentator when he announced it, but that like several other things such as the Vampire had to be withdrawn either due to unserviceability or operational needs rightly coming before an airshow. Hard not to feel for those involved when several acts including one of the promised surprises was unable to display.

The displays we did get in the main were good, it is always nice to see the Swiss team back in the Uk, the Typhoon put on a much better display than it has in previous years at Cosford, and the French Parachute display team added something different and interesting to the day.

The less said however about the static the better, I know that Cosford cant have the sort of static park we get at Fairford, or in the past at Waddington or Mildenhall but come on, The Herc stuck well out the way, a few museum bits and the odd training airframe and visiting WW2 types and that was it. That said its only fair to give a mention to the ladies and gentleman who did the various WW2 re-enactments that went along with the aforementioned static displays, a great effort from all involved and it cant be much fun walking around all day in those old uniforms in the sort of heat we had today, so well done to them all.

Overall a nice enough day out, some stuff beyond anyone's control such as the Vampire going tech, but please next year Cosford lets have a more professional approach to social media, and a bit more on static display. That said it was not all bad and well done for having some surprises in the flying display, when the commentator announced them it was like being back at events in the 80s and 90s when you would only know some of the flying items on the day itself.
Last edited by purple_95 on Sun 11 Jun 2023, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodford_was_wicked

Post by Woodford_was_wicked »

Good day out overall. Line up had some good stuff, nice variety though it had a couple of gaps. As others have said, typhoon was great, Swiss were brill, and the Chinook entering towards show centre then pulling up like the slab of a bus it is but still somehow looking powerfully graceful always make for a great sight (and sound!).

Definitely some bad luck with the cancellations. Same display but with the vampire, nh90 and kc-135 would have taken it from a good show to a very good show (extra variety of classic jet, role demo and big jet). Those three plus another three maybe taking it to an excellent show. Always likely there will be a couple needing to pull out on the day so would hope they'd plan for that so that when they do the line up is still good. De-risk the from "good or okay" to "excellent or good". Guessing it's much easier to organise a show in theory than reality though so fair play to them for trying to get some surprises in.

Glad of a picnic because food and drink prices ridiculous as usual, with exception of the oldy timey bar in the WW2 village which best on the ground and also the cheapest! Lucky with the weather, traffic in and out didn't seem as bad (though could have just got lucky). Overall a decent day!

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

This was our first time here so I've nothing to compare to from previous years, but for us:

Got in at around 11am after only 20 minutes or so traffic.

Loved the static displays, mostly the area with the Jags, Tornados... which is where we ended up sat by on the grass for the whole day.

Toilets were a bit far away, either side of the airfield it seemed.

Couldn't really hear the commentary so after the Red Arrows, we weren't sure if there was anything else worth sticking around for. We decided to stay thankfully and saw the lovely F-35 and then the Lancaster.

We then walked around for an hour, got in our car at about 6pm and was out by 20 past! Lovely!

Compared to traffic at other shows getting in and out, this was a breeze.
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

StrixPhotos

Post by StrixPhotos »

Alot of things outside of the airshow organisers control happened today, even with a not so strong line up, it seems like luck really wasn't on their side.

It was sad to see the C-130J from the RAF only made 1 pass, despite several circuits at altitude waiting for the airspace to clear up. For a farewell at what I assume is its last airshow, it wasn't much of a farewell; would have loved to seen a bit more of it.

Typhoon and Suisse were excellent! Brighty has brought a breath of fresh air, and it shows.

BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane, as much as I love seeing them, I'm always left disappointed by how little we actually see the aircraft; mainly because they are doing left hand circuits, which equalled to about 90% belly shots, and no topsides as far as I can remember. They talk about on the speakers about the paintjob and markings and such and we barley can see it. Would really love just a couple of top side passes, or even a little bit more on an angle on the passes for us to see!

There's plenty more positives and grumbles, but I still enjoyed the day. I'll leave the rest to the others here.

upside, we made it out of the car park in 30 minutes. new record?

Post by 106500 »

Given the unlucky issues they had ahead of and on the day it actually wasn’t a bad airshow. The Pat Swiss were great and the Reds were surprisingly good even though they were one jet short. The F35 was fantastic but why oh why can’t they upgrade to a full display? I liked the A400 Flypast and the single Herc flyby was slightly emotional. The Falcons looked good and the Wasp was a nice late addition. Seen em all before but the Jaguar/Tornado static line up was nicely done and the vintage wartime display was interesting. Finally the selection of museum aircraft was great to see, the examples being rarely seen in the open air. Now for the bad points. Again only one of the large hangers behind the Tower was open so any notion that last years similar situation was simply due to ramping up after Covid doesn’t hold water. The non appearance of the KC135 was, I’m sorry to say, pathetic in my opinion. You’d think the US airforce would want to get the UK public ‘on side’ by showing its airframes. Why do I think we’ll see a similar debacle come RIAT time with the B52s? The Typhoon display was slightly marred by 3 x Juno’s, engines running and awaiting departure right in front of us. Pity they didn’t release them prior to this. So will I return next year? Probably but there certainly needs to be more reheat jet action as one example simply isn’t good enough for a major airshow. This year it wasn’t ‘Cosford on Sea’ but it wasn’t that far off!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

It’s one of those weird feelings. I enjoyed what flew the cap 10 and the Swiss were fantastic I didnt think the reds were as polished as they were at ragley but when a lot of the aircraft that were carrying a pretty thin line up then didn’t fly it’s just a bit disappointing. The static display however can only be described as dead to be honest

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

One thing I would say about today is a big shout out to the engineers at Coningsby for getting the Lancaster to us, for the second week running around 5.00 as well after a similar situation at the MAF last Saturday. I'm always amongst the first to mutter about the BBMF when they don't show up at a show, so well done.

Thank goodness the weather I drove back into in Worcestershire didn't arrive at Cosford, I think the day would have been abandoned and lifeboats launched.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

A decent U.K. airshow, but probably a poor Cosford, given their previous form.

Some of that out of their hands, some of it in their hands, but as I’ve said in various UKAR reviews - you judge a show on what actually happened, not what was on the roster.

Patrouille Suisse were ace, Jordanian suited the event well, and I very much enjoyed the Lynx, and the RAF flypasts were nice but a bit of a much of a muchness. I thought might might have been made for the C-130 flypast, it being its last airshow event, but at least it was something.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 11 Jun 2023, 9:56 pm
A decent U.K. airshow, but probably a poor Cosford, given their previous form.
I have to agree with that.

it was a decent show but not something thats not seen at other UK shows (bar the Pat Suisse). IMO the RAF should be striving to out-do the civvie shows.

Shame about the few cancelations.. mostly out of there control. The NH-90 was servicible but couldnt display due to not validating but when the Czech gripen couldnt validate a few years back it was still allowed to display?

The french team were excellent - Loved the streamers and flag formation.

The Swiss made the show in my opinion. - Saw them 3 times this weekend and i still want to see them again.

With the recommendation to stay in the showground a little longer after the display finishes, i find it odd that most of the ground attractions were packing up bang on 5:30. with almost no one there at 6:30 with the exception of Collins Aerospace and a trader or 2.

It was a little to gappy imo and to top it off the cosford social media team were hyping up the special suprise, and it turned out to be a kc135. Really poor form after teasing the B1 they really should have adressed that it wasnt to be.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

CJS

Post by CJS »

Did they tease the B-1 though, or was that just others putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 again?
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Post by 106500 »

The KC135 never showed up with the usual excuses of ‘operational commitments’ being cited. I thought this was really poor all round given that it was hyped as a surprise.

Cole

Post by Cole »

CJS wrote:
Mon 12 Jun 2023, 7:46 am
Did they tease the B-1 though, or was that just others putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 again?
ill try to find the facebook comments made by them.

It basicly goes someone asking about the B1. the response : we are working on it. and in the same thread them saying expect a massive suprise on sunday..

If there was no hope for a B1 that should have been communicated, not dangling the carrot.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CJS wrote:
Mon 12 Jun 2023, 7:46 am
I think it’s 2+2 = 3.5. I think(?) they said that they were working on the B-1 and then kept hinting at a “surprise”, and given that US bombers on deployment usually fly a few shows if the calendars match (I think one of those B-1s is going to Paris this weekend, isn’t it?), and they did it back in 2017, people probably thought it was a relatively realistic prospect.

By the way, hinting at surprises is exactly what not to do. If you have a surprise, keep it a surprise. That’s what make it a surprise. You start hinting, and people just start imagining all sorts of stuff and then get disappointed when it’s not what they hoped for, realistically or not.