Airpower24 - Zeltweg, Austria

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
bishbashbosh

Airpower24 - Zeltweg, Austria

Post by bishbashbosh »

Dates have been confirmed as 6-7 Sep 2024. Usually a cracking show, if not slightly busy! One to pencil into the diary with more info to follow in the autumn.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

bishbashbosh

Re: Airpower24 - Zeltweg, Austria

Post by bishbashbosh »

They’re already teasing us with some potential participation…
And a little "spoiler": It's not looking too bad for a solo display of an F-35 at next year's AIRPOWER24.... Let's see!
Posted in the context of the Austrians undertaking a joint exercise with the 158th FW.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Probably the same weekend as Sanicole, Melun, Athens and Southport!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Andyph wrote:
Sat 15 Jul 2023, 8:42 pm
Probably the same weekend as Sanicole, ...!
Nope :)

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Chrisse wrote:
Sun 16 Jul 2023, 7:15 am
Andyph wrote:
Sat 15 Jul 2023, 8:42 pm
Probably the same weekend as Sanicole, ...!
Nope :)
Oh that's good! Hopefully a week apart? Like to do both on one trip next year.

We have been missing your info across on the KB thread - go on give us some titbits :)

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Where is the crowd (or crowded from what I've read) line usually for this show. Is it south of the runway where the infrastructure is giving a sun behind the crowd experiance?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Nwalch wrote:
Fri 15 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm
Where is the crowd (or crowded from what I've read) line usually for this show. Is it south of the runway where the infrastructure is giving a sun behind the crowd experiance?
Sun behind you the whole day, with a mountain in front. It's why it's one of Europe's best airshow locations.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Skyflash wrote:
Fri 15 Sep 2023, 1:22 pm
Nwalch wrote:
Fri 15 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm
Sun behind you the whole day, with a mountain in front. It's why it's one of Europe's best airshow locations.
Awesome. Thats what I wanted to hear :)

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Plus, pretty much everythig taxis past right in front of you.

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

For those who have not done it before, the spotter tickets are well worth it.

From their instagram:

“As loyal fans have already approached us with inquiries about when the coveted Spotter Tickets will be available, here's the notice (mark this well on your calendars: The coveted Spotter Tickets will be available in two batches, namely
- on Monday, March 4, 2024, and
- on Friday, June 21, 2024
each starting at 8:00 PM. All information regarding this will be available around the beginning of February 2024 on www.airpower24.at.
The "first come, first serve" principle applies. We wish everyone the best of luck starting today!”

Mike

Post by Mike »

What facilities are provided to those with spotter tickets?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’s very roughly (but not exactly) comparable with FRIAT.

You get a dedicated spotter tent with tables and daily catering, including breakfast and lunch (and as much RedBull as you can drink, for those that like it), though it’s at the back of the showground, so not really a place to mill around for the day. It also has private toilets, but these are just portaloo/portacabin type things. They do the job. And certainly less grim than those used by the hundreds of thousands of people in the showground.

It can be a ballache to walk back to it though. I had to compromise on one or two displays to try and get back to the spotter tent toilets halfway through the day, just to avoid the long toilet queues on the general showground.

Access to 13(?) exclusive “spotter areas”, some of which are just various points at the front of the crowd, some at either end of the runway, one on top of the blast pen(?) berm, and then others that are dotted around the base, including some live side areas.free shuttle busses between them running all day. Last year some of them were closed, but I didn’t feel like I missed out on the ones they didn’t open.

The show is pretty good keeping an online movements list, too. Not perfect, but not bad.the same list was on a TV screen in the spotter tent so you could have breakfast and consider what was coming in (and plan for it, so you didn’t run the risk of being caught off guard!)

Access to the spotter areas in the showground on Weds/Thurs for the arrivals, and Sunday for the departures.

Plus some other small scale perks, dedicated parking right outside the base entrance etc.

It’s quite a pricey package. It might be the second most pricey package in Europe after FRIAT. And especially so given the show days are completely free for the general public. In my view, it’s worth it, but the show is perfectly doable (and much much cheaper) without it.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for that comprehensive answer. It seems like a worthwhile purchase TBH. Does it give any special parking or access privileges?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Spotters have a dedicated carpark right outside the base in a small field (if looking on Google maps, the rectangular field north of Bundesstraße Road and south of the on-base museum and trees). It seemed to be closer and more convenient than most, and on show-days you walk right through, but I’m not sure where the other general car parks were so can’t confirm.

Whilst I have Google Maps open, the “spotter tent” last year was in the large triangular(ish) field just to the east of the museum inside the base. So you can see how far it is to walk to the flightline/static.

The general crowdline stretches from the runway midpoint north/south taxiway (just east of the control tower) westwards up to the right-angled berm that has an industrial area behind it. The aircraft has shelters and hardstanding to the east side of the airfield are generally off limits (save for the spotter areas).

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

I agree with all of the above.

The spotter areas on the live side were simply fantastic imho. Photography-wise they are rubbish as you’re looking straight into the sun, but to be that close to the action was rather exhilarating. I’ll never forget the Hind running in to start its display and literally ducking as I thought it was going to take my head off; F-16s releasing flares when directly above etc. If I’m there for a few days then I’m happy to put the camera away for one of them and enjoy something different. That being said the helo park is just behind one so there’s the opportunity for very close uncluttered shots of them arriving and departing. I think there may have even been an area on an embankment above the helo park but didn’t visit it and can’t quite remember.

The Spotter areas on the crowdline actually jut out, so think at RIAT if there was a rectangular box every at a few points just for your own use. This is great as (a) the crowds are nuts and you’ve no chance of getting near the front unless you bag a spot very early and stay there; and (b) everything taxis past right in front of you, but standing at the side of area you get some great shots.

First year I went I didn’t have the spotter ticket and can confirm that at least one of the car parks is a good 15-20 walk away!