RAF Bulldog Celebration, Church Fenton 1 July

Photos of light aircraft, gliders, helicopters and anything that isn't commercial
TJJ

RAF Bulldog Celebration, Church Fenton 1 July

Post by TJJ »

On 31 January 1973 the first RAF Bulldog flew. This was XX513 (now G-KKKK). The Beagle Pup & Bulldog Club organised a celebration at Church Fenton (now Leeds East Airport) on Saturday 1 July to mark the 50th anniversary, and XX513 was there too. Church Fenton was base to the Yorkshire Universities Air Squadron, and one of its Bulldogs, the black and yellow XX537 (G-CBCB), flew in as well. This is an aircraft I used to fly a lot. The various Bulldogs were joined by some Pups and Chipmunks – their predecessors. Six Bulldogs and three Chipmunks got together to perform flypast.

XX513 taxies in

Other arrivals

The Beagle Pup prototype G-AVDF also served as the testbed for the Bulldog engine installation

A nice curved static line of fifteen arcraft

Taxying out for the flypast

The flypast

Taxying back

XX698 going home

The flypast pilots and Events Organiser Alina who did a great job running the celebration along with Mike, the Chairman. I went to school with Dave in the wheelchair and was in the CCF RAF Section with him. He has a specally modified Bulldog and his own farm strip near Oxford.

Last edited by TJJ on Mon 03 Jul 2023, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: RAF Bulldog Celebration, Church Fenton 1 July

Post by Blackbird »

Interesting event and fab photos. I wish I'd known it was taking place as I could have got there easily as I'm in Leeds this week. Bug**r!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

This is great, looks a lovely event!

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

We had a number of these beauties on our flight line during my time with CFS at Scampton. Towed out every morning, flew, minimal problems and put to bed ready for the next day. Great to work on; Tucanos on the other hand...
Canon systems