ZigAirMeet 2023, Mountain Airshow Action - 18/19 August (updated!)

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
p2philip

ZigAirMeet 2023, Mountain Airshow Action - 18/19 August (updated!)

Post by p2philip »

Hey everyone,

four years have passed since the last edition of this airshow and just like in 2019 it did not disappoint. While the show ground and the event itself is rather small compared to shows like RIAT or Zeltweg it manages to attract some of the well known display acts of the European airshow circuit. Although the participants may not be very rare or have been seen numerous times before it still is special to watch their displays at this place due to the fantastic alpine landscape. Opposite of the display line the mountains rise up to almost 2300 meters forcing the jet displays to adapt their program and often fly at a different axis that usual. When you arrive at the narrow valley at first it is hard to imagine fast jets being thrown around there. Dream Viper especially proved the contrary, perfectly making use of the scenery following the terrain at incredibly close distances.

I hope it is permitted to link this video by Elwyn R. (credit to him, NOT my work!) who captured the display perfectly here:

The limited space at the former Swiss Air Force base forces some displays to fly in from other airports, those operating from the field however can be observed from preparing the aircraft till shutdown of the engines - the access to the live apron is a great benefit. Combined with rural Swiss landscape the event is very picturesque in terms of photography, the only downside is the harsh backlight in the afternoon when most of the jets flew. Also the heat was intense this time (won't complain about the good weather though), so I decided to step back into the shade at times and put down the camera to just enjoy the flying. On the second day I went to the "naughty fields" (thats how you call that right?) opposite of the crowdline which brings you very close to the action and on the right side of the light for the price of losing the background.

Enough talking, please enjoy the pictures - quite a few of them I'm afraid and hopefully not too repetitive as I focused on the displays I was most interested in.. :-)

Thanks for watching and greetings,
Philip

Last edited by p2philip on Wed 13 Sep 2023, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha Delta 210

Re: ZigAirMeet 2023, Mountain Airshow Action - 18/19 August

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Great shots of some interesting types. My absolute favourite is the first shot of the Belgian Viper.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

That last shot with the Swiss and the backdrop ! Wow ! :D

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Superb set from what was probably my favourite airshow I’ve been to. The pat suisse shots are great (I assume taken from somewhere on the live side?) Also slightly jealous of the hornet shots. Frustrating that there were 2 demos on Friday when I went mountaineering, but only a couple of fast passes on the Saturday!

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Great set Philip, thank you for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed it too, Friday on base and Saturday naughty mountain. Both locations were highly worthwhile. :grinning:

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Excellent photography and videography. Would love to attend this event!
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

timuss

Post by timuss »

Great shots what a beautiful venue for an airshow.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated :-)

@Mic: Pat Suisse shots are from opposite the crowd line across the river from the public walking path in the fields. F-18 had a technical issue mid flight on the second day so decided to do a few passes only instead of full display (source Hornet Team instagram). And the morning appearance on the first day was a validation/training flight rather than a full display. This was done in 2019 as well so I hoped for it as it is a chance to get the Hornet from the crowd line in good light.

Will add a few more later, thanks again.

Cheers
Philip

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Some more from this fantastic weekend :-)

Cheers,
Philip

sylvancatharsis

Re: ZigAirMeet 2023, Mountain Airshow Action - 18/19 August (updated!)

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Outstanding images all around. I really wanted to go to this show but found out about it too late to plan a trip overseas. Next time hopefully!

As swell as the fast jets and Pat Suisse images are - and they are - I'm enamored by that delightful little Junkers. Really a "so awkward it's cute" type of deal.
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

SEMAE

Re: ZigAirMeet 2023, Mountain Airshow Action - 18/19 August (updated!)

Post by SEMAE »

Another great set from ZigAirMeet. Thank you for the great photos.

Martin