Telemark Airshow 2023

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Macc

Telemark Airshow 2023

Post by Macc »

Located a couple of hours outside of Oslo in the Telemark region of Norway, Notodden Airport plays host to a small airshow in the last few years. A worsening weather forecast and emerging cancellations didn't give me the highest hopes in the morning, particularly when the Sea King was announced to have aborted their trip. Thirty minutes later, that decision was reversed and the forecast ended up being much more promising than hoped - so it ended up being a very pleasant afternoon and after seeing the flying over Oslo frequently, it was great to capture a Sea King in Norwegian colours before they are retired in twelve months or less.

1. The Vampire is usually displayed with a MiG-15 but unfortunately it has tech issues and didn't make it.

3. Norwegian Harvard looks very smart in camo

4. Swedish Sk.60 arriving from Trollhattan

An item on the program was named "Blast from the past" and was unannounced leading up to the show, they mentioned it was running in and looking down the valley - this came into view...

5. It didn't land but I was just loving the fact it was unannounced, so rare to get a genuine surprise such as this!

6. The backgrounds of Telemark were pretty special too.. and as you can see, there was a bit more light appearing now.

7. Just in time for the Sea King to run in for its demo. Which was very engaging with 5 or 6 passes in different configurations with winchmen, before landing to refuel.

9. It also captured some of the only hazy sun of the entire day...

11. Two of the other big attractions on the ground after their demos..

12. Birddog above the forest

13. Not a bad looking ramp!

14. Departures starting with the Lansen

15. Then the Draken

16. And finally the main event, coming immediately in for a low flyby..

I think it is unlikely they will be able to come close to this next year but who knows!

sylvancatharsis

Re: Telemark Airshow 2023

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Lovely set of photos. That Sea King looks stunning, especially against a forest backdrop. And the Viggen low over the trees... :metal:
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Great set of photos, really nice to see something different! At the risk of sounding parochial the classic jets would be the stars of any UK show for me, but my favourite shot is number 9 as I doubt I'll get to see one in RNoAF service...

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Lovely shots, and another show going on the list for me.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Liking these :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice shots

The Norwegian Historic Flight folks announced a while back that they would not be operating the MiG this year due to shortage of funds and personnel. Come to think of it, it’s a few years since I’ve seen their T-33 either.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Lovely shots especially the Sea King, great backdrop. Still waiting to see the Draken in the lovely camo scheme.

One comment is that's a Grasshopper not a Bird Dog over the trees.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Some lovely shots there Macc, the first Sea King shot is a cracker.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Vet different, very nice! Gotta love those Swedish aircraft.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Mike wrote:
Fri 22 Sep 2023, 11:10 am
Nice shots

The Norwegian Historic Flight folks announced a while back that they would not be operating the MiG this year due to shortage of funds and personnel. Come to think of it, it’s a few years since I’ve seen their T-33 either.
The MiG-15/Lim-2 was slated to fly at the Telemark Airshow, but went tech a couple of days prior to the show. The T-33 hasn't flown for a while, I think the last flight might have been as far back as in 2019.

The Telemark Airshow has become a tradition for me and my avgeek buddies, it's a very nice day out - and they often have quite a nice line up.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

That Sea King!!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016