Duxford flying finale

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
R4118

Duxford flying finale

Post by R4118 »

Does anybody know what the parking arrangements will be for next weekend show?
Parking on the north side only, like last year? Or will the parking at the land warfare hall also be available?
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

shorsley

Re: Duxford flying finale

Post by shorsley »

Parking in the main visitor car park and in the field north side.

Pot luck which one you'll be directed into (will depend on traffic management at the time), but Blue Badge and motorbikes should be directed to the main visitor car park.
"I have a good pilot and a safe pilot."

Flickr

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Last year it was chaos leaving the North. Hope IWM learn the lesson for this year!!!

shorsley

Post by shorsley »

There'll be extra traffic marshals on hand until later than last year and also the traffic lights on the A505 will be turned off with manual marshalling of exit from the main visitor carpark to help with the egress from the North Side.
"I have a good pilot and a safe pilot."

Flickr

timuss

Post by timuss »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sat 07 Oct 2023, 10:40 am
Last year it was chaos leaving the North. Hope IWM learn the lesson for this year!!!
Chaos is an understatment hours to get out.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hey, come on, be fair. They’ve only been doing it for 50 years, you can’t expect them to get it right just yet.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

shorsley wrote:
Fri 06 Oct 2023, 11:27 pm
Pretty sure the main visitor car park is for members only.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Surely it makes sense to use the normal airshow car park by the LWH as usual?
...Rad shutters auto.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

lynothehammer wrote:
Sun 08 Oct 2023, 8:23 am
shorsley wrote:
My experience is that IWM Members haven't been permitted to use the Visitor Centre car park at Flying Days for a couple of years. My understanding is that car park is reserved for VIPs and disabled parking.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:
Sun 08 Oct 2023, 3:53 pm
lynothehammer wrote:
Sun 08 Oct 2023, 8:23 am
shorsley wrote:
My experience is that IWM Members haven't been permitted to use the Visitor Centre car park at Flying Days for a couple of years. My understanding is that car park is reserved for VIPs and disabled parking.
I parked there for the Americans day this year, definitely for the flying finale last year too.

austinp

Post by austinp »

Left getting tickets too late, they've sold out.

By any chance, if someone can't make it, I'm after a pair of tickets.

Thanks in advance.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

austinp wrote:
Wed 11 Oct 2023, 7:03 pm
Left getting tickets too late, they've sold out.

By any chance, if someone can't make it, I'm after a pair of tickets.

Thanks in advance.
Crikey,that’s a first surely for what’s basically just a glorified flying day. It wouldn’t have anything to do with the POSSIBILITY of seeing a certain Tempest I suppose? :thinking:
...Rad shutters auto.

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz »

timuss wrote:
Sat 07 Oct 2023, 8:40 pm
UKTopgun wrote:

to be fair, last years chaos couldn't be blamed on the event organisers.it was purely down to the countless selfish individuals jumping the queue not prepared to wait like other mortals and creating their own queues resulting in a chocked bottleneck at the exit. i thought the Marshalls did a great job dealing with the "chaos" considering probably 80% of cars decided to make their own rules.
so, somewhat unfair to blame Duxford

Daz

JJC

Post by JJC »

Seriously considered this, however Duxford is just too expensive to warrant attending these days. I haven’t been to a Duxford show for 2 years, and really can’t see myself going back (aside from the BoB show, perhaps) - uninspiring lineups at a premium cost.

The Autumn airshow used to be great, not sure what’s happened really - it all feels very flat.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Discodaz wrote:
Thu 12 Oct 2023, 8:30 am
timuss wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:

to be fair, last years chaos couldn't be blamed on the event organisers.it was purely down to the countless selfish individuals jumping the queue not prepared to wait like other mortals and creating their own queues resulting in a chocked bottleneck at the exit. i thought the Marshalls did a great job dealing with the "chaos" considering probably 80% of cars decided to make their own rules.

Daz
I'd strongly disagree with that, I was parked in the front row so no one could jump in front of me yet it still took nearly an hour to get out, there was a complete lack of organisation getting people off site onto the main road which seemed to be the biggest bottleneck

R4118

Post by R4118 »

Gt5500 wrote:
Thu 12 Oct 2023, 1:50 pm
Discodaz wrote:
timuss wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:

Daz
I'd strongly disagree with that, I was parked in the front row so no one could jump in front of me yet it still took nearly an hour to get out, there was a complete lack of organisation getting people off site onto the main road which seemed to be the biggest bottleneck
There was only chaos, no marshalls in sight. But the problem is that there is only one way to get off the parking and on to the main road. That will always be a bottleneck. There should be at least 2 ways to get off the parking and on to the main road imo.
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

R4118 wrote:
Thu 12 Oct 2023, 3:11 pm
Gt5500 wrote:
Thu 12 Oct 2023, 1:50 pm
Discodaz wrote:
timuss wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:

Daz
There was only chaos, no marshalls in sight. But the problem is that there is only one way to get off the parking and on to the main road. That will always be a bottleneck. There should be at least 2 ways to get off the parking and on to the main road imo.
in my experience the issue always seems to be in the grassed car park itself, once you are on the access roads it is marshalled pretty smoothly.
however, there is never anyone in the grassed car parks marshalling cars so everyone just flies off in different directions with and against the flow and it just causes everything to get blocked. i've sat at north side for 2 hours before, it really is terribly managed.

Amp

Post by Amp »

Leave before the end is always prudent!

Discodaz

Post by Discodaz »

in that event, I'm happy to amend my comments. I am always willing to hold my hands up when i am wrong. Last year was my first Duxford airshow, (and from what I've seen advertised this year, probably my last). from what i saw, it was idiots creating many queues to try and push in..if there was an issue and lack of organisation further forward, then i apologise.
that said, i still stand by the fact, if people wasn't so selfish the issue exiting the event wouldn't have been half as problematic.

Daz

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Discodaz wrote:
Thu 12 Oct 2023, 4:56 pm
in that event, I'm happy to amend my comments. I am always willing to hold my hands up when i am wrong. Last year was my first Duxford airshow, (and from what I've seen advertised this year, probably my last). from what i saw, it was idiots creating many queues to try and push in..if there was an issue and lack of organisation further forward, then i apologise.
that said, i still stand by the fact, if people wasn't so selfish the issue exiting the event wouldn't have been half as problematic.

Daz
this is most of the problem. each of the grassed car parks exit onto one internal road, which merge into exit route. that bit seems to flow as well as it can. the issue comes when people do as you say, just create many queues to try and save a few minutes and in doing so block everyone from getting out and there is no one in the car park to guide the route or marshal people on it. it's been a bit better this year but its a nasty car park

Orion

Post by Orion »

I have always found that delaying my departure for 30-45 mins helps

ted633

Post by ted633 »

I park down a lane on the other side of the M11 now. It's about a 15 minute walk, but you are guaranteed to be away easily from that point.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Live on planesTV

AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Was it better leaving North car park this year?